2005-04-27

About My Shiny New Blog...

Greetings, fellow travellers! This is my blog.

I'm British and I've been living in America for exactly one year this week. I've been through some ups and downs in that time, but I guess you need to collect some history in a place before you feel like you belong there. This site will log my thoughts and impressions on daily life, with focus on the little things that mark the difference between life here and life "at home".

It's also a great way to answer friends who say they don't hear from me enough. (Problem is, having hit upon this cunning cheat a few weeks ago, I now need to follow through!)

Why ford prefect? He's a character from The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (hereafter H2G2) who visited Earth to do research for the guide 15 years ago and has been stuck here ever since.

The hopefully-excellent movie adaptation of H2G2 releases here on Friday, but the joke about Ford's name will probably be lost in translation. (It was written in London in 1979.) When Ford first arrived, he chose it because – his slapdash research suggested – it was a popular name and would be nicely incospicuous. In fact, it was the name of a popular product of the time from the Ford Motor Company.



You heard it here first. And you can expect the same quality of research from me as this page evolves.

3 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

welcome to the world of blogs!

13:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you got a magic thumb?

16:19  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I haven't had any complaints so far.

21:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home