2005-08-22

The Skinny

I just love getting out of town. I'm different "there". I get a feeling of untapped potential, contrasting with the usual feeling of nothing-the-fuck-to-do here. I returned today to my first ever court summons (for unpaid rent). With luck, I can orchestrate matters so it's illegal for me to ever set foot in Virginia again!

My court date is September 8th. I wonder if I'll even still be in the country. I confirmed the previously-mentioned U.K. job over the weekend and they're kinda waiting for me to get back so they can start the project. I was sought out and informed of another quite-senior U.K. vacancy, which flattered me and boosted my confidence no end. So, barring a miracle this week, I'm off. There's nothing left to do here except pack, have a final beer with friends and try to get laid one last time. You know, for the road.

My belongings will go into storage here except for the clothes and music collection. There will be a cheap-ass sale of some furniture (watch this space) and the gorgeous 32" flat screen Sony TV I bought for $650 five months ago (offers welcome). In a few months, I'll see whether my two remaining Seattle leads have any vacancies (and how much is will cost in legal fees to return after a break) or whether to find something long term at home. Stability is desirable, but so is Frasier City.

That's the sitch, Mitch. Tonight I catch up on my favourite blogs. When you hear of Brad's "Where's Marcus?" post via a virtual stranger in Indiana, you know you're out of the loop! Tomorrow I begin converting the six sets of notes in my Draft folder into funny stories about strippers, and in a day or two I'm gonna get a whole bunch of stuff off my chest and out of my system in the vain hope of drawing a line under this (hopefully singular) chapter of my life. It might get weird, or it might not: let's find out!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see you back.

Seattle is definitely cool, and the weather might be more to your liking. I grew up around there. Good luck with you job offers and evading the law here stateside.

01:22  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Thanks, babe. I feel like a Good Ole Hazzard County Boy today. I'm gonna call them first thing and settle it with a payment. That's an option, the Civil Order For Eviction says. Hope all's well with you. I promise to catch up on your blog soon.

01:51  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Remember though, the Bush administration will go to any length to hunt down fugitives from justice. I don't want to be accused of harbouring enemies of freedom...

11:17  
Blogger Shocho said...

Best of luck with all your journeys, Marcus. I'm sure you'll enjoy being in the Mother Country again after putting up with all us Yanks for a while. :)

11:27  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

No putting up was ever involved - especially with you. More like the other way around, surely?! I went through several unexpected changes and was a grouch for a large part of my time here.

Also, I wish we could all have been in a place (geographical, not metaphorical) where we could have gone and done more fun things together. But I have very few complaints about the people I met and who looked out for me while I was over here.

17:48  
Blogger erika said...

I would buy your TV, but it won't fit in my car.

HA!

19:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would buy your tv if I had more than about $32.

21:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just glad you haven't been shot yet. Get back to the UK and don't fake a Brazillian accent.

23:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

marcus!!!!
you need to come see me before you leave. seriously! i feel like i havent seen u in months. (wait, i haven't.) i'm living with baybreeze. so i better see you before you go....r you still in the fairfax?

13:04  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

exH: I'll be sure not to arrive there on a Thursday.

eve: yup, I'm still here. Contact me again somehow - I have no details for you.

14:53  
Blogger The1GWiz said...

It was great seeing you again at GenCon, Marcus! I was glad to finally repay the drink I'd owed you since Baltimore, lo those many moons ago. If there's anything we learned this weekend, I hope it's this: when at an adult entertainment establishment, always wear glasses :P

Congrats on landing the position, we here in the colonies will miss you!
-Greg

19:35  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Thanks, Greg. And LOL, Erika: that was a funny hour on the kerb at Best Buy. Brad to the rescue again!

21:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home