2005-08-05

Bank Of Perplejica

"Hi. I wonder if you can help me. I've had a lot of overdraft charges in recent months and, looking at my statements, I find that on most occasions I had more than enough money in my savings account to cover them. I know it's my responsibility to manage my money, and I'm not here to complain. But [insert recent life story involving no job and rent not yet paid for the month of August] so I'm asking for some sympathy and leniency because I'm having a hard time financially. If you can reverse even a couple of the charges, it would make a big difference to me."
"The problem is your savings account isn't linked to your checking account."
"They're both there under my profile, aren't they?"
"Yes, but they're not linked."
"Surely they are... I automatically transfer money on a monthly basis from my income to my savings."
"They're not linked for overdraft protection."
"I see. If that's a paid-for service, I probably declined it when I signed up."
"No, it's free."

Speechlessness.

"I can't do anything here because we can only see your activity since your last statement."

Realize the irony here: by the time you receive your statement, find time to look it over and draw conclusions, it's too late for them to help.

"But you can speak to customer service..."
"I thought this was customer service. Where's the customer service desk?"
"They're on the phone. You have to call them."
"I've come to speak to someone at my account-holding branch and you're saying I should go home and make a phone call?"

I'd like to think I gave her the crook-eye here, but it was probably internal. If I sound like I'm being shitty with her, I was maintaining civility. I think some wish fulfillment is factoring in my re-telling of the conversation. Anyway, she let me call from her desk. I repeat much of what was said above and play dumb with the whole I'm-not-from-around-here card.

"I see that on a couple of occasions you were overdrawn by around $50."
"But I had at least that in my savings on, I think, every occasion. You were holding enough of my money to cover it."
"If it had been smaller amounts, maybe we could have helped..."
"Wait! Going over by $10 would have been alright regardless of whether I had savings with you or not, but going over by $50 when I had more than that elsewhere in the Bank Of America system is bad?"
"Yes."
"You can see why that sounds weird to me."
"Yes, sir. I can. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I'm always tempted here to say, "You haven't helped me in the first place."

"No. Thank you for your time."

I knew it was a long shot going in. A simple case of "if you don't ask, you won't get". But their policies have me a little perplexed. Strange to think that if I'd said four words three months ago I'd be $200 richer now. My accounts are now linked! On the way out, another member of staff wished me a nice day. In my mind, I decked him.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bank of America fucking blows--it's the only bank I know of that's on the east coast and west coast, so I still have it. They charge me any time my savings account gets below a certain amount (yes, I realize I shouldn't be spending my savings, but sometimes, rent is kind of important). Isn't charging me and automatically deducting from my savings kind of stealing?

04:22  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

You'll probably find it's in the small print about your account - as was this, apparently. But my welcome pack was huge and I confess I didn't spend a week reading past the main points.

05:06  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

The NatWest gave me an overdraft I didn't ask for last year. And then when I hadn't used it for a few months, they increased the limit by 500 quid. I almost asked them to remove it but then thought, hey, I might need it one day.

A good reminder that all banks are in the business of making money, not smiling like brainless robots and helping model families with blond children play with model labradors on idealistic scenery. As you might imagine from their ads.

Evil evil evil.

18:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, a comment on one of your archives (since I've been catching up now that I know your blog exists):

OMG, you used the term dooce-proofed! You do know the blog from which that came, right? It's hilarious.

And I'd totally hop the fence for Zooey Deschanel.

19:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, the above comment's from me.:)

19:09  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

That's a bloody can of worms with me two, f----n banks rank right up there with insurance companies as far as being vile incarnations of Cerberus who can separate their activities form their publicly marketed face as if it is all completely normal.

I especially love the way that an "overdrawn" notice gets snail mailed to you, even when you have signed up for an eAccount that pretty much demands you stay out of the branch and not bother anyone human. So by the time you get it, 4 more $12 charges have gone through (and you copped $35 for each).

04:41  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Did I type "two" instead of "too" in the first line? Must of been thinking of the upcoming Cerberus reference...

04:42  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Yeah, if I'd gone in with the opposite problem, they wouldn't have been able to help me for a whole different set of stock reasons. If I was gonna be here longer I'd switch to credit union.

14:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Desk of the Sell Out Generation to the rescue.

I'm no use to you what-so-ever, however if you wish to read similar tales of hatred of the idiocy of the system, just log on to tales, of, "The lie that is insurance", "The Mystery of the Hairdressers, how come none of them ever have a decent haircut?", and "Politics, Just Don't Get Me Started"

Subscription is free you only need to spend eye-time and coffee break moments reading it...what a bargain!

Stay well Shepherd. And Don't Let the Bastards Grind you Down...there is some clever latin phrase which means that same thing, but I'm not clever, dont speak latin and can't remember what it is...but the sentiment's pretty much the same in English, from England, so there...

13:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home