2005-09-09

Battlestar Operatica

I was compiling a 101 for a friend who wants to start watching Battlestar Galactica when I came across this nugget about the music. The Season One composer added a number of vocal pieces to the themes established in the mini-series. One includes the following lyrics, sung in Italian:

Woe upon your Cylon heart
There's a toaster in your head
And it wears high heels
Number Six calls to you
The Cylon Detector beckons
Your girlfriend is a toaster


So, the guy who did the score over a year ago implied that Baltar is a Cylon. I'm not Italian, I didn't hear it myself, and I'm not pretending musical cues are canon. But surely he had to have some kind of brief before he could start work?

Update 2005-09-10 11.48am EST: Evan is my go-to guy for cult T.V. in the same way that I'm the go-to guy for people who know much less about it than I do. You'll find us discussing each new episode of Galactica the following day at his site, Heimlich Maneuvers. Don't EVER leave spoilers. He knows where you live! And, if you've not yet converted, well that's twenty fewer uninteresting posts to wade through here. You're so lucky!

2 Comments:

Blogger DrHeimlich said...

Actually, I'm bringing a bit of BSG discussion here, simply because this Baltar-as-a-Cylon theory has been your pet theory for a while.

I totally don't buy it.

For me, it comes down to this simple thing -- it would not be dramatically interesting for Baltar to be a Cylon. The story of a man who is responsible for the destruction of his entire planet (12 of them!) and what sorts of lies he tells himself to assuage the guilt... that's compelling. It would be like if the Cuban missile crisis had evolved into an all-out nuclear holocaust and Robert Oppenheimer was one of only about 4,000 survivors on the entire planet Earth. If Baltar's really just a Cylon all along, well, then he was just doing his job, and all that emotional turmoil is pretty meaningless.

Not to mention the fact, we already got a season's worth of "Cylon doesn't know it's a Cylon" angst played out with Boomer I in the first season. And I feel they drew that well dry of the compelling drama there was to be had there.

16:51  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I agree with you 100%. IMO it is by far the most convenient/logical explanation so far. How else did he survive the initial blast wave at his summer house? Six is flesh and bone, just like him, but she died and he didn't? Hmmm.

I think my subconscious wants this theory to be disproved so badly - I mean, "so well" - and that's why I've been harping on it so much.

17:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home