2005-11-17

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

But the first three episodes were shown in two.

I downloaded Episode 1 because I was away when it was on here. Naturally, I got the original H.B.O. version. At lunch today I sat down to watch Episode 2 - taped from the B.B.C. broadcast - and there was stuff in the recap that I didn't recognize. Did I miss an episode? I checked with friends and it has definitely only been going for three weeks. Hours later, I found out what the Pliny is going on: the B.B.C. is full of freaking idiots.

It doesn't help that next-to-no shows put their episode titles onscreen any more. It's all The X-Files' fault: only giving story names online helped generate a huge internet following for that show. But it can make it tough for the uninitiated to know what they're watching when the Bumbling Broadcasting Corporation decides to do a hatchet job on Rome!

If you live in the U.K. and are happy watching The Anachronistic Brazilian Wax Show, stick with the Beeb. If you want to see all the political scenes too then downloading them is really the only solution at present.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

"The corporation maintained that the cut scenes were unnecessary because British audiences “already knew” the historical background of the struggle between Julius Caesar and Pompey and did not need as much information as Americans..."

Cos, er, yeah, we all learned that at school, didn't we? Beautiful.

19:46  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

That spokesman seems to imply that there's no point watching historical dramas at all. Can you believe the BBC co-funded this production THEN cut it by 1/12?

I'll have 1-3 on disk by the weekend if you need them BTW.

20:45  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Lizz: you confused the hell out of me for days til I realized that you're replying here to a comment I left on YOUR blog!

Rome has British actors but a mostly American production team. If you like H.B.O.'s style of storytelling then yes, it's very very good indeed. More info here.

20:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home