2006-03-06

How Long Will We Sing This Song?

No matter what you think of our reasons for going into Iraq, how can anyone justify Guantanamo Bay? Forget the allegations of torture and there's still a basic human rights issue being wilfully ignored. Would we stand for it if the boot was on the other foot? Sometimes I'm ashamed to be British.

While I'm venting spleen, allow me some words for Capote. I watched it last night while Philip Seymour Hoffman was winning his Oscar. He was outstanding but Catherine Keener as Harper Lee looked uncannily like how someone I used to be madly in love with will look in five years. There was no conflict at all yet the film just wouldn't end. All the characters come out of it either scarred or dead and the same could be said for the audience. It killed my birthday buzz after only two days and I slept like crap. Avoid this movie! Especially if you're me!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

The chickens will come home to roost, to quote Malcolm X. Like we need to give more reasons to the extremists to hate us. Bliar's only worried about god judging him, too. wtf is with these people?

20:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying being an American! We have no shame!

Wait. That's the problem, isn't it?

I feel like if I really try to respond to this post, I'm going to go on for a very long time, so I'll leave it be.

21:08  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Yeah. Ain't that the truth. I could rant for days, give up my job and demonstrate outside Parliament (except spontaneous protest within a mile of Parliament is now illegal - a woman got arrested for simply reading out the names of the dead British soldiers there recently, for fuck's sake), join campaigns, write letters, blah blah blah... and it would make no difference.

One of my friends said Bliar "came across as a nice bloke" on tv the other day. Deep breath time.

06:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home