2007-04-15

S3E03: Gridlock

Two unknowns die (pre-credits) and their television plays on. It could happen to me!

Points to whoever put seats in the T.A.R.D.I.S. control room when they revamped it for the new series. Tennant makes such a good show out of flying it short-handed that he deserves to sit down once in a while.



Whenever He dipped into Time Lord folklore/mythology with Rose, He told it mostly straight so a new audience could learn it with her. With Martha, there's a nice ambiguity: we know His planet is gone now (if it ever actually existed following the Time War) but, this time, He uses the opportunity to reminisce and leaves Her in the dark re: the truth.

Ol' Rubber Face is back. Why is there such a gap between the quality of the digital effects and the quality of the prosthetics on new Doctor Who?

A distraught woman ignores His advice and takes an anmnesia drug to forget about her missing parents. So He asks her again about her missing parents. That's cold.

Ardal O'Hanlan's doing his Father Dougal routine but that's grand, so it is.

Allow me to rephrase: why is there such a gap between the excellent cats and all the other prosthetics in the series?

I like this Motorway concept but if you knew you'd get five miles in twelve years wouldn't you walk instead? The streets are deserted. It would be more ironic if it was called The Freeway but this is a rare case of pandering to British viewers.

The grain cake made of recycled waste looks like wholewheat...

"We've got contact with [the other cars]. Well, some of them anyway. They've got to be on your Friends List."
Over on Heimlich Maneuvers, the good Dr. plays a drinking game during his 24 reviews. He takes a shot whenever anyone sets up a "perimeter", goes "data mining" or when Jack says, "dammit!" I feel the catchphrases and motifs on new Who ought to be similarly recognised. Support for alternative lifestyles has been a motif of the new series so we take a shot for the old gay couple and another for the woman who mated with a cat.

He name-dropped meeting Janis Joplin. Drink! And I'll buy a drink for the first person to explain the link between her and a long brown coat.

The vertical sequence (climbing down the cars) just zipped by. Encore! It's funnier when you know they redressed the same set for each interior. The nudist car was, predictably, my favourite. God love the gay man in charge for remembering all the dads watching.

The Macra are here! They're doing nothing any brainless monster couldn't do! The Macra are gone! That was pointless.

He's wearing glasses. Is that drink-worthy?

"I've invented a sport!"
I promise I won't be this big a killjoy every week but wasted potential really gets my goat. The first twenty minutes tonight introduced clear parameters for the story: a contained world, characters with believable motivation, danger, a rescue-quest and some neat S.F. ideas worthy of Philip K. Dick (whose dystopian futures are imitated here). On its own it would've made a strong Part One in the old four-part format.

In the second half, the Doctor was transported to the resolution of the story where someone else explained what was going on and provided a push-button solution to it all in the very same room. He pushed the button and, instead of rescuing Her, sent Her a flight path home. It's like the middle act (where our hero works out what's really going on and uses elements of the story that have already been introduced in His ingenious solution) was just absent. Why/when/how did the Macra come to New Earth and set up shop in a man-made structure? What happens if you wear two conflicting mood patches at once? Who's the villain of the piece and how will they be brought to justice? Without an opposing force, it's yet another tale about technology run amok with the ending from THX1138.

My brain gave up on this episode when the writers gave up on telling me a good story. The little I know about next week has me giddy though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I was a little confused about the "point" of the story, too. It seemed as though it needed more time, but wasn't important enough to warrant a two-parter. Seemed crammed in.

As someone who liked Rose, I sort of resented that the speech about Gallifrey's skies and grass and whatnot got delivered to the new girl and not to Rose, but I can imagine that it happened with Rose off-screen, I suppose.

And yes, the glasses are drink-worthy. At least to those of us who like men. And I think the alternative lifestyles are good drink fodder too. I liked the old ladies, they were sweet. Someone should toast them.

And oooh! That preview for next week looked good, didn't it? He's going to be so mad at those damn Daleks after what they cost him the last time he saw the buggers.

(Thank goodness for the internets, so I don't have to wait until August to see this stuff.)

01:36  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

The 45-minute format comes in for a lot of criticism. I wish they'd do more two-parters because you start to get some depth to the story and surely it would help the budgets, the filming schedules, etc? Then again, other writers have done wonders in just 45 minutes.

Good point about losing Rose in the last Dalek story. With any luck he'll get some closure and move on.

Do you watch the episodes streaming or via torrents/P2P?

10:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So He asks her again about her missing parents. That's cold.

He was only doing his job - he needed to do some research to understand what was facing him.

Ardal O'Hanlan's doing his Father Dougal routine but that's grand, so it is.

It's the only one he has - his stand-up's the same. I won't comment on the Irish stereotyping there, so I won't.

I like this Motorway concept but if you knew you'd get five miles in twelve years wouldn't you walk instead?

Aye, good M25 and what we're doing to our own planet metaphor there. Although I dare say we won't have rubbish crabs to deal with even if we have do have to live underground.

We've got contact with [the other cars]. Well, some of them anyway. They've got to be on your Friends List.

I thought this was genius, myself.

There we go: a brief commentary on the commentary. I agree that it all went nowhere, but I was still happy because of the kitten babies (if I ever have babies, they better be kitten babies!) and, well, you know what else...

Still missing Rose here. Still taking or leaving Martha.

12:02  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

It's the only one he has - his stand-up's the same. I won't comment on the Irish stereotyping there, so I won't.

"A fifty foot head! Just t'ink it!" (Ted.)

He was only doing his job

Get you all sticking up for your T.V. boyfriend :).

Still missing Rose here.

Me too but it's better to be left wanting more. I'm ready to see what else this show can do, is all.

15:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You outline the problems with GRIDLOCK very well, Marcus. I hadn't successfully analysed why I was dissatisfied, but you're right--it's the easiness of the exposition with Haim and the teleport etc. But I didn't care about the GRIDLOCK world enough to be fantastically bothered, just as long as we got out of there fairly quickly (I could have cheerfully done without a return to New Earth altogether).

Another reason for dissatisfaction: a friend asked, of GRIDLOCK, what's the point of a DOCTOR WHO story without a villain and in which the monsters don't get their comeuppance?

What I've liked about season three so far (apart from Freema being rather good and Tennant reining himself in a bit so that he's less like Timmy Mallett) is that the stories don't feel to me shoehorned into the 45-minute format as much as they did in previous years. The first two certainly didn't.

After the Macra this week, can anyone rule out the return of Morton Dill in DALEKS IN MANHATTAN?

08:19  
Blogger John said...

I agree with the Beef vis-a-vis the Macra. It seemed like it was just banged in there to create a bit more tension.
The real story there was the secret the Face of Bo had to reveal- they just needed something to mould around it.

18:36  
Blogger Hilary said...

I did get the feeling it was more of a "what has happened" and "what's going to happen" episode more than anything else. Along with some kind of bizarre "don't do drugs" warning in the middle.

Freema's still smart. And she hasn't tried to call her mum yet.

12:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home