2005-05-01

The Gilmore Girls Effect

With the passing of Lauren Graham (she's not dead - see yesterday's posts) this is probably a good time to talk about "the Gilmore Girls effect".

I turned 31 this year and still feel like I'm 25, though I need to carry I.D. with me here on nights out despite being ten plus years over the legal drinking age. I'm 6'3" tall and was the guy at school who got sent into the convenience store to buy alcohol when we were all under-age. (You can buy liquor or drink in a pub at 18 in the U.K.) Ironically, the first time I got carded was right after my 18th birthday, much to the amusement and frustration of my alcohol-needy friends at the time.

When the average age of Granby Street bar-hoppers is 25 or lower, you begin to wonder whether you should start fibbing about your age. A work colleague who has a daughter from a previous relationship told me that he tried to be up-front with his information when he started dating again but he found it was a guaranteed Heisman-winner every time.

Ultimately he met someone wonderful and it wasn't an issue. I hope that something as arbitrary as age would be less of a biggie - or at least the only people it would bother aren't the right people for me.

There are occasionally comical side effects of hanging out with a younger crowd (not to mention some hot advantages not suitable for blog-tales). Joe and I made our celebrity top ten and he listed the daughter in Gilmore Girls while I listed the mother. He thought I was joking til IMDB revealed I'm nearer Lauren Graham's age than Alexis Bledel's (Alexis plays Lauren's daughter on the show).



I ate burritos last week with my new friend The Real Eve and raved about when I saw Pixies (aka The Pixies, philistines) play in concert at her college last December. I was happy to hear she even knew my favourite band ever in the world ever. "Yeah," she said. "My parents were really into them."

P.S. This is my first drunk posting. Yay me!

2 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

M, people say "you're only as old as you feel."

If that's the case, I've got a good 10 years on you...

20:44  
Blogger Major Rakal said...

I participated for a number of years in an amateur Gilbert & Sullivan performing troupe (yes, this really is relevant to your post), with cast members ranging from junior high and high school students, through university undergrads and grad students, to professors and community members in their 50s or more. (Not to mention an occasional 8-year-old "midshipmite" or other extra.)

My tendency was to think of them all as a sort of nebulous group of contemporaries (well, maybe not the 8-year-olds). So when one of the chorus members, a university freshman, mentioned that his parents were coming to a performance and would be coming backstage, I was vaguely expecting a couple of roughly my parents' generation. It came as a distinct shock to find they were actually roughly the same ages as me and my then-husband (we were 34 and 38 at the time).

01:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home