2005-07-08

I'm Thuper!

Updated, expanded and reposted. Now with added fire and brimstone!



I'm going back to South Park for a coupla reasons: new people are reading and I want to see little cartoon versions of them; I don't want anyone to misunderstand my views on religion following my 2005-6-14 post; and I've just seen a Christian website bash one of my all-time favourite films because it didn't understand it.

First, the fun stuff: me as a nine-year old with adamantium claws (like Wolverine from X-Men). How deliciously menky! You can make your own character courtesy of Comedy Central's website.

Now, let's get semi-serious: deep down, all religions seem to be about tolerance and I'll second that. Religion is much more prevalent in Virginia than where I'm from - in the last twelve months, I've unwittingly dated a preacher's daughter and a Sunday school teacher. But I haven't needed to modify my behaviour much to survive here and no-one's found reason to preach to me.

When faith become organized, that's when I opt out. Beliefs such as these can't be tested, making no one religion more truthful than the next. When P.O.T.U.S. says God blesses America, he doesn't know that. It's a conveniently un-disprovable endorsement of the government's own ideologies, by the government. Having religious status doesn't equal being righteous. Anyone making that mistake runs the risk of being authoritatively wrong instead of merely humbly wrong.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut criticises racism, mob rule, moral hypocrisy and censorship, but the folks at the Childcare Action Project have missed the point entirely. The movie isn't designed for children because they aren't usually developed enough to distinguish between glorification of a thing and satirization of it. The reviewer makes the same childish mistake: he's hung up on the curse words and vulgarities and doesn't notice issues that must be close to the heart of the C.A.P. being highlighted and discussed throughout the film.

They can't see the wood for the trees, which is sad, as is the fact that no-one is surprised at their kneejerk, face-value reaction. People like this give the rest of Christian America a bad name.

6 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

Nice...I found a new avatar

18:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done for propogating the word "menk", by the way; I have high hopes of its making the dictionary one day. However, a schoolboy error -- Wolverine has only the three claws on each hand...

08:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the WISDOM rating - that's WISDOM for, "Wanton violence, Impudence, Sex, Drugs, Offense to God, and Murder", of course. It's the "offense to God" score of 14.6 I particularly like, somehow reminiscent of a sports statistic: "Go long, Moses!"

Organised religion isn't all bad. I'd be surprised if I didn't go to church tomorrow, especially after the events of the past few days here (London). It's a comfort thing. Humans need familiarity, and liturgy provides that. Tomorrow I will take comfort in being with a hundred or so people in one Anglican church among thousands of Anglican churches across the country, knowing that the words we hear
mean the same thing to everybody in each of those churches -- tolerance, routine, coping, and community. It's not very rock'n'roll, but it matters.

God's in the back seat -- I believe in people. But I live in a country with a state religion, one in which I was brought up and one whose literature dominates my culture. My experience of the Church of England is that it can provide community focus. You needn't believe in God very devoutly, but there'll be hell to pay if you leave without having a cup of tea and a biscuit. And right now, I think the more dispensing of cups of tea and biscuits the better.

Sorry if that's not a terribly coherent defence of organised religion; Thursday has left me a little uptight, so much so I haven't even been able to start making jokes about open-top buses yet.

10:29  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Christian America has a good name? I thought they were all dumb idiots. You learn something every day...

11:21  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Mod: Which of my Christian American visitors do you find the dumbest? :)

Shig: That's coherent enough. I rarely engage with it on an emotional level rather than an intellectual one. I understand the desire to feel a part of something bigger, and cared for, in times of crisis.

My family is Protestant BTW, hence all my protesting!

13:33  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Actually, I should have been more precise. I think all christians are idiots, not just the american ones. If they don't like my opinions they can always forgive me, to misquote Bill Hicks.

There is nothing bigger than our subjective reality and pretending that there is is just delusional. When are they going to stop worrying about the next life and start enjoying this one?

Don't get me started!

15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home