2005-06-30

Dreams

I rarely remember my dreams, but on the strength of these I wish I did!

Last week, I'd been listening to The Lyre Of Orpheus by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Several tracks have backing vocals by the London Community Gospel Choir, which means lots of oohs and aahs on the quieter ones. In my dream that night, I was directing them to get their oohs just right. In my brain, the studio was like in Saturday Night Live's infamous "more cowbell" sketch. I asked them for a more jazzy sound and they burst into a free-form acid jazz montage completely at odds with Nick Cave's style. I folded over, laughing uncontrollably, because it so wasn't what I wanted yet they had done exactly what I asked them.



In last night's dream, I was staying at a friend's house while they were away (just like I did with Kristina last week). Dream person had an older relative to stay at the same time. As the god of sitcoms would have it, this man and I hadn't met before and my dream took place on the day he arrived and found fault with everything about the place - even furniture arrangements and the like that were the owner's choice and nothing to do with me. More weird, this sextagenarian was B.B.C. newsreader John Humphries (looking grumpy, above). Inside the dream, I asked if I could take his picture so I could blog about meeting him!

Dream analysis websites weren't much help but if you like pop-up ads, you should go to one now. The first dream clearly said to me "when life gives you lemons, look back at your shopping list and see if you didn't actually order them". You make your bed, you lie in it, etc.

In the second, the home obviously represents safety and security: the fact that I didn't have my own place, and was criticised, could mean that I seek more of those things. On the flip side, I was welcomed into someone else's home and I took on many of John Humphries' criticisms to get along with him better, even when they weren't my fault. I don't know what that means precisely, but it's radically different from the first interpretation.

If anyone thinks they can better interpret these messages from my subconscious, be my guest. All I know is I woke up smiling both times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Surely once you start asking dream characters about blogging, it has passed from the realm of 'communication diversion' to 'obseqious obsession!" Wake up Marcus, you are dreaming this!

00:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home