2005-08-24

Tag And Bag This Body

I've been tagged twice. Geronimo!

Ten years ago, 1995-08-24:
Living in Canterbury. I'm on a four-year course so many of my cohorts on threes graduated last month and have now left town. I'm living with my girlfriend, we're both playing card games and I'm looking for a place to live for my final year.

Five years ago, 2000-08-24:
Living in Littlehampton and having an "investment year" (meaning that it was a crappy place to live but I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't done that job).

One year ago, 2004-08-24:
Living in Virginia and just getting back from working Gen Con Indy 2004. My camera lied to me and made all my pictures out of focus. Kendrick educated me about Funyuns and Abner became my go-to guy for drink-related fun that summer.

Yesterday, 2005-08-23:
Slept in late after a fun weekend that lasted til Monday. Found out what I needed to pay not to go to court. Watched half of Vampire Hunter D and listened to the latest Galactica podcast. Ate some Pop Tarts and an apple.

Tomorrow, 2005-08-25:
Errands to run. Nothing life-threatening. More taking it easy!

Five snacks I enjoy:
Muffins, beef jerky, ice cream, kebabs and (no gagging) pickled eggs.

Five bands that I know most of their lyrics:
The Doors, Pixies, Duran Duran, Radiohead and (not strictly a band) David Bowie.

Five things I'd do with a million dollars:
Invest in an American company and apply for the easiest type of U.S. work visa; pay off the three people I currently owe money to; help my mother out with her financial security, post-divorce; travel; buy a new car for the first time... maybe a hybrid.

Five places I'd run away to:
Seattle, New Orleans, Amsterdam, Toronto and (try and stop me) Brighton.

Five bad habits I have:
Finishing people's sentences when I agree with what they're saying, not getting enough exercise, being too sincere, taking life too seriously sometimes, and not taking life seriously enough other times.

Five things I like doing:
Reading, writing, travelling, smoking and the never-ending pursuit of happiness!

Five things I wouldn't wear:
Sandals to work, any bright colour except white, any sports-related apparel, a gimp suit, a prison uniform. I've worn a dress in public three times.

Five TV shows I love:
Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Have I Got News For You, The Tick (the live-action version) and South Park.

Five movies I love:
Memento, Adaptation, The Big Lebowski, Donnie Darko, Hero.

Five famous people I'd like to meet:
Frank Black, Patrick McGoohan, David Mamet, Hunter S. Thompson, Philip K. Dick.

Five favorite toys:
Camera, computer, Playstation 2, a plush of Buttercup from The Powerpuff Girls and a lava lamp that doesn't work on U.S. current.

Five people to tag:
Ric at The Paranoid Mod
Joeri at Emotive Impulse
David at The Daily Anxiety
Mike at Deep Thoughts By The Girard
Kate at Penguins R Cool

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a gimp suit?

18:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here comes the obnoxious part--I've seen this meme a few times and "five bands that I know most of their lyrics" is really bugging my English-teacher brain. It should be "five bands for whom I know most lyrics" or even "five bands whose songs I know most of the lyrics to". Yes, this is what happens when none of the other children will play with you in elementary school. You grow up and correct internet grammar. Sigh. I couldn't help it.

18:42  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I noticed that too, but I'd already changed all numbers under twenty into words... I thought more changes would too easily reveal my obsessive compulsive tendencies! "Five bands whose songs I know most of the lyrics to" ends in a preposition and "five bands for whom I know most lyrics" makes the mistake of treating a band like a person IMO. I'd use "for which", personally.

But you're the teacher -- I'm just an enthusiast. I'd be interested to know how bad my instincts are from anyone who knows for sure.

18:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I thought about "five bands for whom I know most lyrics" treating the band like a person, so it could be changed to "five bands for whose songs I know most lyrics".

And guess what? Ending a sentence with a preposition is gramatically correct! As a stylistic choice, one should avoid ending sentences with prepositions except in cases where to do so would result in extremely awkward wording.

Actually, Winston Churchill said it way better: "That is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put." You know, just in case you're ever on Jeopardy and Alex asks you that question.

My goodness, I'm a nerd!

And I totally would have had to change the numbers, as well.:)

19:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you still haven't told me what a gimp suit is...

19:02  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Love the Churchill quote! A gimp suit is a rubber all-body zip-up suit (like a diver's wetsuit) used behind closed doors in domination/fetish scenarios. They're not for me!

19:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so not knowing what a gimp suit was doesn't say anything embarrassing about me.:)

19:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"maybe a hybrid."

Marcus, you wanna get married?

Wait....already married. Damn.

00:09  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Shit, are you also an ex UKC attendee?
Which college?

00:47  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Kat: don't tease! Your husband is bigger and tougher than me and it sounds like he's lovely to you. Do you have a big sister?

TG: Yes! Rutherford college by admission, but an Eliot boy in practice. Lived in both. You? My three public appearances in a dress were at the Gulbenkian Theatre BTW.

13:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have a sister, but sadly, she's not nearly as cool as me.

Then again, few people are, really :)

My husband is a wonderful man, but he wants to buy a Ford F150. I want a hybrid (or no car at all). You can see my dilemma.

15:08  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

A rich family is vacationing at Graceland. Hoping for a family photo of them all together, the father stops someone outside the house.

"Pardon me, sir. Would you mind terribly taking a picture of my family?"

"Oh, sure," replies the man, with a Southern twang. "Say, where you all from?"

The father's nose crinkles a bit. "We come from a place where we do not end our sentences with prepositions."

"Fine," says the man, "Where you all from, asshole?"

20:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've seen this meme a total of 327 times now. Hey, those single digits add up to 12, and the single digits in the number 12 add up to 3, and 3 is a prime number. You know what that means? It means I move on Saturday and I just now started packing my shit and already my brain is overloaded to the point I need another comment-whore break, except this time, I'm not even lucid.

22:57  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Good luck with your move, Anonymous Sarah. Keep your eyes on the future and think how good the end result will be!

Love the joke, Dr H. What's orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot. Ho ho ho!

22:18  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

I was a Darwin man and always found it amazingly hard to find the bars in Eliot & Rutherford as they were mirror images.

Was it still said that they were sliding down the hill when you were there? That, and Keynes was slipping into the duckpond, and Darwin Tower was slowly subsiding.

Then the Gulbenkian dropped into the railway tunnel - no-one saw that coming.

03:15  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Darwin College stairs = The 8th Modern Wonder Of The World! Seriously, when the staircase is bigger than the bar where do you think everyone's gonna hang out?

I heard the one about the railway tunnel but that's it. When were you there? Me: 92-96. I'm guessing you're pre-Woody's Bar and I'm sure we're both pre-Lighthouse!

06:42  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Woody's Bar???? Wassat?

Yeah, Darwin stairs are large and very hard as I found when I fell down them. Fortunately I was very relaxed at the time.

Speaking of time, yes I predated you by rather a lot - 74-77 for undergrad and then 77-80 for postgrad.

00:48  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Ouch! (re: the stairs)

They had to build extra housing on campus (in the wood behind the sports centre). Woody's was the campus bar there, much to the amusement of American undergrads.

This whole thing has freaked me out. Next, we'll discover we're related!

01:18  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

That would freak us both out.

Odd segue on that thought - a couple of years back I went to a company dinner to Dunaways in Indianapolis to meet a technical guy from another company.

Point (1) - he's an ex UKC guy from a few years ahead of me.

Point (2) - he did his PhD in the chemistry building for the same supervisor as I did.

Given that this guy had 1 or 2 students at one time the chances of us meeting 3500+ miles away from Canterbury 20 years later was somewhat slim. Possibly 1 in a million if you're a Terry Pratchett fan.

Weird, small world.

00:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home