2006-08-31

Tales From The Retail Hinterland

Four weeks ago I was an IKEA virgin and now I’m a flatpack slut. There are only a dozen blue-and-yellow warehouses in the country one's a mile from where I live, on the site of Bristol Rovers old football ground.

Poor Rovers have been pitch-less for years now, playing wherever other teams will let them even if that team plays rugby rather than football and fans have to travel thirty miles to watch. I’d be more upset about this if I didn’t prefer shopping to football. I’ve seen Rovers play once and that was an away match. (The only tickets available on the gate were in the red end and we were wearing blue. You’ve never heard three people cheer so quietly.) By contrast, Saturday was my fourth visit to IKEA in as many weeks.

They didn’t have everything I wanted so I had a small strop and my girlfriend chastised me for being ridiculous. And rightly so. I think I had cabin fever. I know some shortcuts now but there’s one prescribed route through the gargantuan showroom - with arrows on the floor, no less. You’d better plan ahead if you want to get out to smoke or pee. The trade-off for cheap furniture is that you have to do more work than you’re accustomed to, like picking your own stuff in the warehouse. When they go out of stock you wish you were in a normal shop where someone would have told you that half an hour ago. But you can’t beat those prices!

Not wanting my home to look completely like a page from the IKEA catalogue, I’ve thrown in a few items from other catalogue stores. I asked about vases in NEXT and the manager gave his answers to Alice (for that is she). You know... because it's a girly subject. I was most surprised when she didn’t deck him there and then. Once, watching a World Cup match in an Oxford pub, an American tourist asked her if women had any interest in football. She cut him down to size rather effectively!

I had another overwhelmingly positive experience with amazon.co.uk. Who knew that all you had to do to achieve customer satisfaction in Britain was remove the human beings from the process? Want this delivered guaranteed by midday tomorrow? Order in the next 38 minutes and choose Express delivery. By the time I got to the checkout I decided it wasn’t worth the extra expense and chose regular post instead. It arrived the following morning anyway.

I love shopping. Alice says I'm due to leave the closet any day now.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you see, the Next guy, though irritating, wasn't obnoxious, didn’t have an annoying accent, and wasn’t telling everyone that the score was zero-zero (who describes it like that?!). And I was standing closest to him, so gay and all as you are, it was probably because of my proximity to him that he directed his answers to me. Oh, and I wasn’t scowling at him with murder in my eyes. That’s right.

I’m never going shopping with you again. ;)

14:54  
Blogger Hilary said...

I went to the IKEA shop the other day. It is terribly badly organised. Especially if all you want are some glasses and they're directly at the end of the little trail they make you go through. Then you have to find your way out to the cash machines. We meeped a lot.

P.S. You're not allowed to send random people to my website! Aargh!

16:38  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Hilary: I see some spam on Tall Scientist but no actual stalking. What happened? Do tell!

Alice: So we agree he was irritating?

Rest Of The World: How long do you give Alice and I based on what you've just read? :)

16:49  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Of course Fight Club starts with paean to Ikea and the wonders therein. Watch for the signs, Alice, mumbling to himself, inexplicable bruising, and being in denial about shagging Helen Bonham Carter...

16:53  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I'm NOT shagging Helena Bonham Carter!!! (Damn.)

17:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. And by that I mean yes.

I give us another 45 minutes, give or take. Particularly in light of this Bonham Carter non-revelation. She's a slut that one, don't ye know.

17:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. If I managed to remember the username and password of a blogger account I think I once might have had, would that mean that I wouldn't have to tell you who I am or do that word verification thing each time? I'm much too busy and important for that sort of thing, as you well know.

17:41  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

It would remember your name but you'd still need to do the verification thingy. Or you could set up a new Blogger I.D. with no pressure to actually keep a blog.

Mail me? :)

17:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, cos I got me other blog innit.

I'll try to remember what it is - no point in cluttering up t'Internet with a host of unused blogs.

Mailing complete.

17:54  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

I always think typing in meaningless strings of digits (does there have to be so many? Surely 3 or 4 would suffice) shows our commitment to Ford's hard work. I could be wrong.

17:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not that committed you see. And I'm shamefully lazy. But you make a good point nonetheless.

18:01  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

I would reply except I'd have to type in more letters. Oh.

18:12  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Sometimes I get the word verification wrong. When you get it wrong on Brad's blog (which is not a Blogger blog) you have to retype your entire comment. So let's all be grateful for the small things in life!

18:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, sorry, I have to bring the conversation back to Ikea...

Just be happy that you have an Ikea store to shop at! I think the nearest one to me is in Canada. When I lived in FL, the nearest one was like 6 hours away. I'd really like to see something (sit on a couch, jump on a bed) before buying it.

18:26  
Blogger Basquiat Scrawls said...

I know i've said it before but, its another 'Our man in Havana' moment for me again, assuming you've read it by now? Hidden Identities, pseudonoms etc, who are you protecting?

07:53  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

He'd tell you but he'd have to kill you.

12:02  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Ok, unless Alice is a guy I give the ralationship about a month. If Alice is a guy maybe 2 months - it's the gay comment that makes me wonder, I just watched The Crying Game and one can never be too careful, don'tcha know.

But I have to agree with Alice that nobody refers to a football game as zero-zero. Apart from Mercans that is.

00:10  
Blogger C said...

But we don't call them football games, either.

So Alice (because I don't think Marcus's opinion here counts unless he's really a flamer, in which case, Marcus, feel free to weigh in) I have been wondering whether English girls find Am accents as hot as Am girls find English accents. It would appear not. Do accents only affect American girls, then? Because here, it really is rather like Love Actually (you know - that guy who ends up in Milwaukee. . .)

Marcus, I'm still an IKEA Virgin. Is it like heroin? Should I stay away? We have one not far away now. . .

04:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candace, I'm an Irish girl so I can't answer I'm afraid. And I haven't seen Love Actually, but I know what you mean. I would conjecture that English girls don't find American accents as attractive as the other way around, but I could be wrong. Irish girls (if you're interested) aren't particularly enamoured by American accents, but that's possibly because we've heard too many of them, or rather their owners, vehemently claim their twelfth-generation "Irish-ness" to us. (It gets a bit irritating after a time.)

I don't dislike American accents, I should add - my general rule of thumb is to dislike an accent if I dislike the person, but I'm sure that could apply to any accent from anywhere, really.

07:46  
Blogger C said...

Ah! OK.

I've been theorising on why "foreign" accents appeal to various poeple. My first thought was that this helped keep the gene pool from getting too shallow. Just about every American female I know will admit to most accents making a guy more appealing.

With the men, it doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

But I don't know many non-American females to poll in this whole line of inquiry.

19:50  
Blogger Basquiat Scrawls said...

Well in the interest of scientific research, and as an English girl, i'd say as a general rule an accent different from your own is appealing purely because of its difference. It intrigues and plays into the desire to explore that which opposes us as a way of understanding our own identities. Of course an accent also comes to be the signifier of a presupposed culture; so for example English women find Irish accents particularly sexy because of the cliches of wild celtic warriors - or somat!!

23:28  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

c: I'd suggest that the reason many men don't find a foreign accent attractive is because we rarely listen anyway. But there are appealing foreign accents - I'm partial to French, and oriental accents myself. But not the more guttural accents - German, Dutch etc.

21:33  
Blogger missy said...

I've had really bad, hell-ish experience in my Ikea visits. But I still go because it's the only place I can afford! I also want my place to look like an Ikea catalogue :-)

17:49  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it sounds like you two are just perfect for each other:)

21:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home