2006-10-23

When The Levee Goes Nowhere

I saw my brother on Friday for the first time in four years. We can't remember exactly how long it was. His girlfriend and our mother ate out with us. There was an awkward half hour when we thought mum was drunk. But then she said her new medication made her feel like she wasn't really at the table talking to us and we felt like crooks for our earlier suspicions.

Terrorism came up in conversation, as did the current hot-button topic of Muslim women wearing veils. Not everyone in my family is as liberal as I am! Last month someone told a racist joke at my uncle's birthday party. Don't get me started on the guests at my aunt's funeral.



I gave my brother a disc of Led Zeppelin covers that was in my glove box. Some tracks are silly re-interpretations (one song to the tune of another, banjo time, etc.) but Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You does the business. Tea For One needs no new twist: it's the melody from Since I've Been Loving You played backwards with new lyrics anyway!

Today I saw that my brother had left his gift on the back seat of my car. I'd been driving along, thinking how odd it would be if he was driving and listening to the music at the exact moment that I was driving and thinking about him listening to it, and it was two feet away from me the whole time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once, a very large, intimidating uncle of mine called Dennis Rodman a nigger at my family's dinner table when he and my aunt came to visit. I said sarcastically, "That wasn't racist or anything." My comment was not seconded by anyone.

For the record, I like black folks :)

15:28  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

My uncle once commented over xmas dinner that all the black people in London carry knives. I walked out and spent about 3 hours trying to find a pub that was open, not something that apparently happens in Tunbridge Wells when the queen's speech is on...

I'd like to go on to say that some of my best friends are black, but it isn't true, mostly because there are exactly 5 people in the whole of Sussex of Afro-Caribbean descent.

17:15  
Blogger Scribbler said...

I am lucky that most of my family and friends share my politcal views, we have the odd dispute about religion but generally we agree on most of the important stuff. However, this does not mean that I appreciate all their gifts for me. For years my mother has bought me books that I don't read. It's not that she has bad taste, just different from my own. Last Christmas my boyfriend bought me a terrible CD which I didn't bother to bring back from my parent's house (admittedly I told him that I'd done it after the fact!). Consequently I wouldn't read too much into your brother leaving your present behind. We all have different tastes and just because we might not want a present doesn't mean we don't care! Saying that, he probably just forgot it.

17:01  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Mod: I remember when we saw Public Enemy at the Concorde 2. Even Flavor Flav look shocked at how white the audience was.

Scribbler: Welcome here! Thanks for the reassuring words though I didn't take anything from it other than absent-mindedness.

My word verification word is "plewpth".

07:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home