2006-11-21

U.P.P? Yeah You Know Me

In days of old when knights were bold and Poles still lived in Poland, I'd get my arthouse flick fix at the Duke Of York's Picture House in Brighton. These days it's the Watershed Cinema in Bristol and the modestly-named Ultimate Picture Palace in Oxford.

The first film I saw at the U.P.P. was Hidden, with Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche. At first we thought the cinema was closed until the manager ran over from the cafe where he was watching the World Cup and opened up just for us. There was nobody else in the auditorium so we commented on the action just like we were at home.

Our next visit was equally entertaining. While waiting outside, Alice and I became the target of an old drunk's abuse. I think we disturbed his sleep! Alice got some racist nonsense and I got the fighting talk. (Most people leave well alone when they see how tall I am, but every now and again someone takes it as a challenge.) I was riled enough to steal the old boy's walking stick to teach him a lesson. Of course, I didn't do it. I'm a nice boy who was brought up not dragged up.

Inside and two rows in front, a white-haired man was muttering to himself and twitching. He looked a lot like God. Once the film started he behaved quite normally - proof, if proof be needed, that escapism is good for your state of mind. The film was Brick. It was suspenseful and noir-ish.

Since then I've seen the wonderful Little Miss Sunshine and little else "in theatres". I'm tempted by the new James Bond though my instinct tells me it's just another turd with gold paint on.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'You shut your fvcking foreign mouth!' he was shouting, if I remember correctly. That whole evening was rather disturbing for me really.

A & S were in the UPP recently (to see Little Miss Sunshine, as it goes), and apparently they're doing it up. They've ripped up a pile of seats and everything. That said, they've 'done up' the UPP about ten times since I moved here, so I'm not holding out much hope.

21:22  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

CR has be a better class of gold turd, if only because they've apparently got rid of the gadgets. And the smirking, too, I hope, watching Goldeneye the other week the constant oneliners got right on my nerves. A legacy of Roger feckin' Moore...

01:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was tempted by James Bond, but probably not in the way you were talking about...mmm...Daniel Craig.

Where was I?

Oh yes.

He looked a lot like God.

Prove it! I always call old men with long white beards Santa Claus. You'd think it would get old, but it doesn't. Not for me anyway.

I wanted to see Little Miss Sunshine very badly when it came out, but it seemed to have missed us here in the country. I've recently found a theater that's showing it, but I don't know for how long!

13:10  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Time to get the snowshoes on, Kat! Sunshine is a must-see movie. Believe it or not I had no idea who Steve Carel was until I saw this.

Back to Bond, it can hardly be worse than what's gone before and I love the nerve of that Ursula Andress "Dr. No moment" in the trailer.

19:51  
Blogger C said...

Still wanting to see Bond as I'm tempted in the way Kitkat is. Did he look like God, Kitkat? Oh, it was the old man. Never mind.

I've got nothin'. Still fixated on Bond. Sure hope that's not a letdown.

17:56  
Blogger Basquiat Scrawls said...

The UPP used to be the Penultimate Picture Palace, which incidently was owned by an American guy who also owned the Duke of Yorks. He brought the stripy cancan legs from his other cinema 'not the Moulin Rouge'and put them on top of the duke of yorks. I wonder whether they just changed the name because the 'Pen' rubbed off and no-one could be bothered to repaint it?

21:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home