2005-05-04

Electile Dysfunction

There are two days to go until the UK elections. Unfortunately I can't vote this time – not because I live in the States now, but because I let my address lapse with the records people.



On the flip side, I don't really know who I would vote for anyway. Many people who would traditionally vote for Labour have a problem with Blair/Bliar as leader following the fiasco of misinformation that led us to support the invasion of Iraq. Rumour has it that, if Labour win (which looks likely due to the lack of any viable alternative) Blair will step down so the party can concentrate on issues again instead of defending their leader's reputation. I'm sure he doesn't want to step down, but it will be a more graceful end to his political career than a vote of no confidence. (He famously said, regarding the unpopular decisions he's made over the last couple of years, that he will let history be his judge.)

It would be cool to see the Liberal Democrats get the second share of the vote for the first time ever. As the anti-war party this election, it could happen. Though I'm sure that the closer they get to realistically having a chance of government, the less idealistic and more realistic their policies will become.

And that's about my total understanding of this year's show. I'd love to get comments from anyone with more insight or differing opinions. It's my blog so I can always have the last word! Until then, here's a story about some of the sillier manifesto pledges made by minority candidates.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

History tells me that there's never a viable alternative to a party that's been in government for more than one term. Many of the opposition don't have any "experience", or so is the claim of the government, and is also the the undercurrent of opinion.

Blair's saying "Don't vote Lib Dem because the Conservatives will get in." It's desperate.

I wish I could vote Labour. I have few problems with them and my local MP is very good. But I can't have Blair get away with the disgraceful string of concocted deceipt, devised to ensure war in Iraq, something he decided long before. It was a mistake, the public, 50% of them made there verement opposition plain.

We will sadly never know what kind of success could have been made by the UN by non-warring means. Violence has once more prevailed. It bodes not well.

20:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wavered today cos Tony Benn was in the paper saying we should vote Labour. But I can't vote for Bliar, just the sight of him turns my stomach. If al-qaeda got him he'd deserve it...

21:00  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

What's the situation like where you live? Will you have to cast a tactical vote against someone rather than for your preferred candidate?

23:55  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

"Hear hear" to the last paragraph of your comment, exh.

23:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home