2005-06-24

Nusswatoks From Nassawadox

Douglas Adams and John Lloyd wrote The Meaning Of Liff on vacation. Their premise was to take words that are currently just hanging around on signposts with no inherent meanings and assign them to widely recognizable (though as-yet-unnamed) things or situations from life. For example:

Bolney (n.)
A song created by one's father during one's infancy, which consists of a large variety of made-up words in addition to said father's sporting and cinematic heroes.


Tearing up the US-13 last week I saw plenty of funny place names: Assateague, Nassawadox and Onancock. Yeah, really. "Onan" and "cock". Together. Outrageous! I also enjoyed the sign welcoming me to Seaford: "voted 28th best small town in the U.S.A." I didn't stop.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Superior Bottom, West Virginia is my favourite. Must go there and take an ironic photo one day...

10:43  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Wet Beaver Creek, Arizona.

16:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After Intercourse PA of course. Don't forget to stop by Gas City IN!

01:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always jealous of people who live in Westward Ho! in Devon. Imagine living somewhere with an exclamation mark at the end of it. Maybe there are places out there with question marks in them: "Where the Hell's This?" or "How Did We End Up Here?"

08:32  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I'd be happy to live anywhere with "ho" in the name :)

18:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you were going to say that. I admit it would be better than living in Cockermouth.

06:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home