2005-07-11

Top Five U.S. Snack Foods

Leaving Ben & Jerry's ice cream range aside for a moment, what do I reach for when the munchies come a-callin'?

1. Smartfood White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn.
Regular soft popcorn that you might get at the movies, with cheesey salt on like you might get on a Pringle or Dorito. The little bits at the bottom of the bag always have the most flavour.

2. Blueberry muffins.
From Relative Theory's coffee bar. Or from Starbuck's. Or from any place that wants to sell me a muffin with my coffee in the morning. It's the closest I come to breakfast each day.

3. York's Peppermint Patties.
My fellow Britons, imagine an After Eight mint that's the size of a Jaffa Cake but twice as thick. Now available in $2 bags of bite-size patties.

4. Oberto Natural Style Beef Jerky.
4oz of dried, cured meat in a bag. Such a guilty pleasure, but when the same store sells Pigs Feet in a jar (no, I have no idea how you're supposed to prepare them) I think I'm still on the acceptable side of redneck.

5. Reese's Nutrageous bar.
Americans love their peanut butter and my local grocery store, The Downtown Provision Co, has about a dozen chocolate bars that contain either peanuts or peanut butter in stock at all times. The cheekily-named Nutrageous is the king of them all. Bow down, lesser snack foods!

Finally, there's a weird thing going on here with Mars, Milky Way and Three Musketeers bars: two are like the European Mars and Milky Way bars, but their names don't match. They took the snacks and the names and mixed them all up for no reason other than to confuse me! But I have the final laugh, because they ALL taste good.

7 Comments:

Blogger Major Rakal said...

I congratulate you on your good taste in blueberry muffins and York Peppermint Patties. Three Musketeers is my favorite of the three chocolate bars you mentioned.

I will pass on the beef jerky, however.

22:01  
Blogger erika said...

pigs feet are generally deep fried, i believe. good southern delicacy.

[retch]

i like the Reeses' FastBreak-- a big peanut butter and 2 kinds of nougat all covered with chocolate. oh my.

22:09  
Blogger Jono said...

In the summertime I like to have either a frozen Milky Way or Snickers bar -- it's just as tasty but not as messy.

23:21  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

I do enjoy a good chocolate candy bar, but I have to say I wish there was a greater variety of fruit flavored candies... or at least that more places carried the few there are.

You can pretty easily find SweetTarts (snore), Gobstoppers (better), and Runts (now we're talking). Bottle Caps are pretty rare, as are Nerds (which used to be everywhere in the mid-80s. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two others...

But compare that to the 95 kinds of chocolate you can get. As I said, I love a good chocolate bar, but sometimes, you just want something else.

00:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a twizzlers fan myself. But chocolate does sound good. Damn you, marcus!

16:50  
Blogger Kathy said...

For you, in case you decide to go all the way redneck.

I love jerky myself, as well as cheesy popcorn.

You know, when I can hold food down.

19:16  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Crikey. Still on the marmite over here. Save us from our postwar tastes you sugary american types!

20:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home