2005-07-26

Waking Typing Eating Sleeping

I took a few days off. Not much to report, or you can bet I'd be sharing it!



The job hunt continues to generate more leads. I'd feel productive if it weren't that they're all unlikely to yield a result quick enough. Going to Gen Con Indy for some impromptu interviews seems mandatory now, though I'll need to check with Legal what it takes (paperwork, money, etc.) to leave the country and come back before that trip can be useful. I'm considering a final excursion to D.C. but no firm plans have been made so we'll see what transpires. It would surely be fun, but right now everything seems secondary to that question mark over my future.

I've been playing San Andreas before the police come crashing through my door to demand I trade in my copy for Finding Nemo (a slight overreaction there to this story. Thanks to Shocho for the link - in fact, he's been the Good Link Guy of late.)

I've been watching Batman: The Animated Series in all its "Dark Deco" gloriousness which, with the distance of a few years now, more convincingly looks like it was made in the 1940s.

And I just saw House Of Flying Daggers, another fine Chinese export with a great story in the first half that unfortunately degenerates into dross as the layers of deception are pulled back. The last 30 minutes I started web surfing. How Zhang Ziyi/Ziyi Zhang in disguise as a non-sword-toting anything is supposed to fool us in these movies any more is beyond me... not since Tom Cruise defined the role of Fallen Hero Seeking Redemption for himself to play over and over again has an actor so seemingly sought out to be typecast. Ultimately, Hero takes the prize in the Z.Z. "It Isn't Me!" trilogy, being largely devoid of the irrational romantic decisions that take over House Of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in their final reels.

More (possibly even interesting) tales when I have them...

5 Comments:

Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

But then we never watched Chinese martial arts films for the plots, did we? Hero is an honourable exception, but even then it's a case of "this happened", "no, this happened", "ok, actually, this happened". It ain't a Mamet film...

The fight scenes rocked in all 3 films, and I don't really mind what Zhang Ziyi's pretending to be as long as she gets funky in a bamboo forest. That scene was worth the price of admission alone.

I've been meaning to spend all my money on Jet Li films for some time now, maybe I will tonight...

Drunk mod.

01:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you were going to crawl out...

I always did like Batman: The Animated Series. However, at some point my brother pointed out the anachronism of stuff. He could never figure out when it was supposed to take place.

11:07  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Yeah, still here. I'm Robert The Bruce!

I did like the police blimps in that show. Tell your brother it's set "in the time of the Batman"...

13:40  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Mod, beware Jet Li in The One. Joeri had it. Not good!

13:41  
Blogger Joeri Hoste said...

The One. Ewwwwwwww. You're right. That blew chunks. Anyone want it? But being dead on w/ The One doesn't entitle you to snub THOFD! I shall smite thee down in vengeance!

Me thinks the Asian Cinema series on Emotive Impulse (shameless plug for joerihoste.blogspot.com) warrants a Martial Arts instalment!

15:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home