2005-08-27

That Which We Call A Rose

Because "a rose by any other name" is possibly THE most overused Shakespeare quote on the whole intramanet. From herpetoculture to whether Pluto is still a planet or just a really big Kuiper Belt Object, everyone's got a use for it. Occasionally, an article turns out to be about names or roses or both!

I saw this piece of funnery this morning and thought about some of the less fortunate people I went to school with. We had a John Thomas, a Wayne Carr and a history teacher named Richard Holder - known out of earshot as "jockstrap". (Paranoid Mod, this might be a good time to tell the story of your Mr. Boyle or I'll butcher it myself in the comments.)

At university, we had a Mycroft Haddock. I can understand trying to elevate the Haddock family reputation by taking names from literature but there's a reason you don't meet many Sherlocks in real life so you should probably take the hint and avoid his big brother also. There can't be many sites with the phrase "Mycroft Haddock" on them, and even fewer with it mentioned twice in the same paragraph, so I look forward to him Googling himself one day and sharing with us how he overcame the crushing embarrassment that haunted his first thirty years.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the last guy - "Bumbum." When I was in Europe last year, my friends and I laughed heartily and immaturely at some candy labeled "Bumbum." Great memory.

22:03  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

There's a brand of bread in Spain called Bimbo. It was funny so I took a picture of my friend, Ed, holding a loaf. Yeeeeears later, I send the picture around in an e-mail but for some reason Ed's wife doesn't get the attachment, just the heading "Ed and some Bimbo". Oops!

23:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home