2005-11-22

Someone Else's Top Something

The results of The Guardian's Top Twenty Geek Novels survey have been published. With 120 people participating and voting closed already it wasn't exactly the most scientific study ever undertaken but that doesn't mean it's not indicative of the truth.

I've read ten and a half of them, making me 52.5% geek. The partial is Cryptonomicon, which bored me outright. I gave up a quarter of the way through. I should probably call it 10.25 and brag that I'm only 51.25% nerd. I loved #1, #2, #4, #6 and #12 on the list and felt like I'd finished a school reading assignment after #5 and #17.

It takes me a long time to read a book because of that thing Tim Berners-Lee did to keep me distracted. When I get around to actually picking one up I'm not a slow reader at all but we're talking trains, planes and that's about it. I read #14 on my first trip to New York City in 1997 and had to rush the ending so I could leave it with my host at the end of the week. In return, she gave me Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex* (the self-help book, not the movie with Burt Reynolds as a sperm).

Perhaps it's because I read so few novels in a year that they manage to evoke memories of times past almost as well as music does. In the case of Consider Phlebas, I remember my vacation vividly. And the plot? It had something to do with shape-shifters. I think Phlebas was a planet.

*But Were Too Afraid To Ask

8 Comments:

Blogger C said...

I've only read 6 of 'em, though I have read another William Gibson (Mona Lisa Overdrive) and another Iain M. Banks. Shouldn't "A Canticle for Liebowitz" and "The Hyperion Cantos" be on there? Maybe they're too obscure. . . :oP I'd put the Thomas Covenant books on there, too (Stephen R. Donaldson), but I don't think all that many people know them.

2 from my all time top 10 list are on there - H2G2 and Dune.

1984 and Brave New World were school assignments, but I enjoyed them.

No LOTR? Maybe they're too in vogue to be geek books now.

20:45  
Blogger C said...

PS, you know when you say you stayed with this girl and then she gave you "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask" ?

Ouch!

20:50  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Eight, so I guess I'm 40% geek.

01:21  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

I've read 17 of them and am currently reading the 18th (Man in the High Castle by PKD). But I'm not a geek, I'm just well read. Right? Oh well.

Exeunt pursued by a bear shouting "nerd"...

PS Candace, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" should so be on there. Fantastic book.

11:22  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

PPS And Thomas Covenant. 6 heavy tomes, very very geeky. Did you know he's writing a followup trilogy, Candace? First one's already out...

11:26  
Blogger Major Rakal said...

Only 7 for me. 35% geek?

onndstcl

17:02  
Blogger craig said...

I've only read 8 of these, and that includes Cryptonomicon. I'm a bad geek, I guess.

21:38  
Blogger C said...

Paranoid - yep! I found out about the new ones from a friend just recently, so I bought a bunch of the old ones on eBay and am ploughing through them again. 3rd time through I find I don't need the dictionary nearly so often. First time through was the reason I had to buy a huge a$$ dictionary because the words I had to look up weren't even IN my regular dictionary. :oP You can get most of it from context but I'm one of those weirdos who will be totally bothered by not looking it up to get the exact definition even if I'm 99.9 % sure of the meaning.

"Chiaroscuro" has been permanently etched into my memory from the first time through.

uh oh - is that a bear?? (runs away)

00:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home