2006-03-18

Your Licence Fee At Work

Because of the unique way the B.B.C. is funded, it comes in for a lot of criticism. The chief argument goes like this: you were set up with funding from the government with a mandate to provide a public broadcast service. I don't have digital cable or the internet (says the complainant) so you shouldn't be spending my licence fee money on new channels and websites that I can't access.



Personally, I can't remember the last time I watched BBC1 or BBC2 but I'm listening to web radio as I write this so the above argument gets a fat "I'm alright, Jack" from me. Interactive content built into the rolling news channel News 24 gives me the headlines and a five-day weather forecast at the touch of a red button. The Eight O'Clock news on Radio 4 is a staple feature of my drive to work, as is the Six O'Clock News on the drive home. (I like to be informed.) BBC Bristol, BBC Wiltshire and BBC Berkshire tell me why the motorway has come to a standstill and why I can't do anything about it.

Best of all, I can hear shows I've missed for up to seven days using the online Listen Again feature. It's TiVo for radio! I recommend Just A Minute, the panel game where the aim is to talk on a single subject for sixty seconds with no hesitation, repetition or deviation, and the self-styled antidote to panel games, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

"The next round will be familiar to viewers of Give Us A Clue, where contestants must communicate a popular title or phrase without using words. Team captain Lionel Blair got frustrated on the show's Italian tour when he couldn't use his mouth to finish off Two Gentlemen Of Verona."

That's dirty. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Listen Again is available overseas because we never intended for foreigners to Listen A First Time in case they heard what we were saying about them. To find out, click here then click "Comedy And Quizzes" on the right. Finally, leave a comment about whether it worked so I can talk about this with more authority in future.

At four beers per month the licence fee is fantastic value. It's not fashionable to praise big corporations but it's true. Now if only the public would stop watching half the crap on BBC1 we might get better public service television too.

13 Comments:

Blogger C said...

Only 1 "L" thing on my list and it wasn't "Listen Again," but I was able to listen to a sbip from "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue."

23:27  
Blogger C said...

Do you have to pay a TV licence if you have a TV that you don't use to pull in broadcast TV? (in other words if you only use it for DVDs and Vids)

One of my fave Young Ones involved Vyvyan eating the telly cuz they hadn't paid their licence.

Oh - I'm now getting the whole "Clue" show after some ads, it appears. :o)

23:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Listen Again for me! However, I like the "we never intended for foreigners to Listen A First Time in case they heard what we were saying about them." Well done.

00:59  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Candace: I think you'd be exempt from the fee under those conditions but it would probably cost more than the licence fee in legal fees to prove it.

Weird how you got the broadcast and Kat didn't. Are you in Canada or something? Did you find it funny or was it waaaaay too "Radio 4"? :)

FYI as the author of a comment you should be able to delete it if you're not happy with it and post new one, to save double-posting.

10:01  
Blogger C said...

Maybe Kitkat could get the other ones, too. But neither of us could see "Listen Again" as an option. Bummer!

Haven't Got a Clue was a riot! :o)

I usually don't delete out of paranoia that someone will think I've said something hideous, LOL!

03:31  
Blogger Hilary said...

According to the rules, you are supposed to have a TV licence even if you only watch DVDs on your TV. This is because, even if the TV is not plugged in, it still could be and therefore you are breaking the TV licence law. It kind of counts for computers as well as they can be made into TV receiving equipment... Basically, the BBC want to make sure they get their money (although I think they deserve it too, as I like listening to the radio as well!). Sorry for the boringness, but you may want to know...

11:20  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Maybe Kitkat could get the other ones, too. But neither of us could see "Listen Again" as an option. Bummer!

Have the two of you been conferring? How very in the quiz show spirit!

I think we have some confusion here: the section I linked to *is* the Listen Again section. The concept is that you can hear stuff online that's already been broadcast on the radio. Make more sense? I have no diagrams to help :(

22:17  
Blogger C said...

Oh!! I thought you were talking about a show called "Listen Again." Duh! I get it now. Sometimes my head is full of rocks.

00:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are funny.... I just let rip with a big laugh at that comment from Candace :o)

19:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently my brain is full of rocks too.

So, I leave for 4 days, and no new post? No HNT? I'm so disappointed!

20:27  
Blogger C said...

Yeah - thought you had jumped on the HNT bandwagon. Colour me disappointed. Hey Kitkat - phone call for you - its a pot. All I'm getting is the word "black??" ;o)

22:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candace, at least I provided and explanation!

04:56  
Blogger C said...

Heh! True enough! Well, Marcus. What have you got to say for yourself?

05:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home