2006-12-10

Plane Decadance

I've been travelling. Mostly for work. York and back in a day was an endurance test: 500 miles for an hour with a customer! My other meetings were all in the South and felt like trips to the corner shop for a packet of peanuts after that one.

I spent a lovely weekend in Brighton catching up with The Paranoid Mod, Basquiat Scrawls and their "entourage". I discovered how to make coffee when your host has no coffee-making apparatus and I completely forgot to take any photographs.

I got up at 0400 on Friday to get to Heathrow Airport by 0730. I met four colleagues there and twenty more at Schipol. We were bussed to a canal boat where a tour guide tried to tell us what we already knew about the city of Amsterdam while we tried to have conversations in second languages with people we hadn't seen in twelve months.

That evening we were taken to a converted army barracks somewhere off the road to Haarlem. There were glittering decorations and, inexplicably, there was a unicorn suspended from the ceiling. There was a D.J. and an organ grinder playing I Shot The Sherriff. There was a free bar. There was no sales meeting. (I enjoyed not carrying my computer.) The entire trip was a "jolly" because we've had a good year. And when management is happy, we drones in Sector 7G are happy!

By Saturday afternoon I was home again, like nothing had happened.

I wouldn't say the Dutch always know how to have more fun but here's what we did on the last U.K. office outing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got up at 0400 on Friday to get to Heathrow Airport by 0730

You know, when I was in Europe a few years back I noticed that you guys use the 24-hour system for telling time, but I wonder how you actually say the time. Do you say, "We're eating dinner at seventeen thirty"? Or do you just say, "Dinner's at 5:30," but you write it out using the 24-hour version?

18:12  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

We say "half five" or "five thirty" or any number of the normal ways! In writing we're probably just as casual but printed timetables and electronic program guides, etc. will usually use "1730". My use of the 24-hour clock on this website is just a style choice.

rgrqr

18:44  
Blogger Basquiat Scrawls said...

I especially like the sound of the unicorn, all the best bars in Brighton have got animals suspended from the ceiling (although i'm guessing the unicorn wasn't made out of hub caps).Is that you in the gorilla costume?!

20:22  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

We should make more use of our entourage. I'm sure most of them don't even know their place in the scheme of things.

rgrqr?

21:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who'd have thought a free bar and disco would go down better than a day spent jumping out of trees to prove how much you trust your colleagues?

We're being forced to plan an office awayday at the moment. My suggestions included dinner round the diplodocus in the National History Museum, a sleepover in the Egyptology section of the British Museum or (my only serious one) a day out at Vinopolis (I thought it'd be an easy sell). In fact, it looks like we'll be off on a Eurojolly to Brussels. Should be fun, but there and back on the Eurostar in a day's going to be a bit of a killer--and it would be vastly improved if I knew someone at the European Parliament were organising a free bar for us.

08:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home