2007-02-28

Validation!

We've covered before how I talk to strangers. If you have to interact with a real live human being rather than a touch-tone menu then savour that rarity. Life is so much more pleasant when you make an effort with people. Friends call me either naive or a big flirt for this.

Yesterday I got a customer service call from Virgin Media, who have moved into the technology convergence market and taken over my broadband supply. Kitty's job was to get me to add cable to my package for an extra three quid a month but I've got too many rentals, downloads and Freeview recordings to watch already. Plus, Rupert Murdoch vs. Richard Branson has been all over the news: Virgin won't pay Sky's new price for their premium channels so I wouldn't get 24 or Galactica anyway. (Shig tells me Sky One via Virgin Media already "went dark".)

Kitty joked that calls were recorded so she couldn't say what she really thought of Mr. Murdoch. I didn't upgrade but perhaps I brightened her day for a minute or two. Before ringing off she told me that, if I called 150 to complain, they might agree to put me on the cheaper tariff for my existing services that they use to entice in new cutomers. I did, and they did. Kitty gave me this tip because (she said) I was "so nice". I just saved £72 p.a. by being friendly! Now that's what I call validation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

awesome!

i love stories like this!

16:04  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

I still think detached cynicism is the best way to deal with cold callers. Or indeed slightly lukewarm ones.

Still, nice one. Now you can spend that £72 on dvd boxsets of the shows you'll miss!

17:23  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

£7 per month x 12 = £84. I meant £84. Stupid hung over maths head.

17:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Or something. Good for you for being nice. I'm nice in person, but the anonymity of the telephone brings out my horns (devil, not trumpets).

My cable company just sent me a letter to tell me that they're upping their rates. This, after our CBS affiliate stopped having an HD channel. I think I'm going to cancel some of my services. That'll teach 'em.

12:49  
Blogger Basquiat Scrawls said...

You are a big flirt but personally i'd put it down to that hybrid American-Bristol accent you've got going on, travels very well down the telephone.
I miss the days when you had to ring the lovely northern boys at GNER to book train tickets instead of using that goddam trainline site, made paying the stupid prices so much more enjoyable when it came with flirtatious chat about the purpose of your journey to their end of the country.

19:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home