2005-07-29

New Doctor Who Again

A major spoiler here for the end of Season 1. However, if you care enough about the show to be bothered by my spoiling you, then you probably already heard the news months ago. And in this way, we take our chances...



Eccleston was good but he's gone. Apparently he didn't have fun shooting on a Welsh industrial estate for eight months straight so he didn't sign for a second year. Though having been fifteen months in the sticks now myself, I only dream that I could have spent that time being Doctor Who. Rumour has it that the B.B.C. has the new guy, young David Tennant, on a one-year contract too. Have they even read the script? He's got three lives left then it's game over.

Tennant's had his initial photo session and he looks fab; an altogether more refined kind of English gentleman. I approve! (Let's hope some of it rubs off on Rose.) If his few onscreen words so far are any kind of yardstick, he's gonna be a lot less manic than his predecessor. Kudos to the costume people also, for helping us forget about the 1980s. We're back to stylish yet unassuming, but not so plain that I wouldn't wear it. (That's a nice suit, I'm telling you.) Being able to easily blend into a variety of situations was sort of the whole point of the show, so thanks for bringing that back.

The linked picture above epitomizes the British weather. It was probably taken in June. If you like your wallpaper less drab or less dreary, check out this large free selection from Marvel Comics instead (requires registration).

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael J. Hercus said...

Actually, I believe he only has two lives left. The Trial of the Time Lords depicted his final incarnation (and I doubt they'll be hiring that actor after a lapse of time like that!).

God, now I feel like a geek...

I guess there's a reason I link to Outpost Galifrey from my blog.

05:13  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

IIRC (I was 12 or so) it was an amalgamation of the evil sides of his 12th and 13th selves, rather than actually a Doctor proper.

The Trial was mostly crap anyway and I'd be happy for them to retcon the whole thing if it gets in the way of telling good stories now. Or, they could explicitly position the new show not as a continuation of the old and start his life cycle over.

13:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know as well as I do he looks looks like Javis Cocker.. whom you fancy, ya lanky girls blouse ;)

19:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe we need to worry about any of this 12th regeneration crap. Think BRAIN OF MORBIUS! Think Anthony Ainley (but briefly, for your own good).

Tennant's costume is great, but I liked Eccleston's too -- no nonsense, modern, everyday. The first sign of a question mark and I burn my TV licence.

20:47  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Anthony Ainley = Timothy Claypole from Rentaghost.

What's the significance of The Brain Of Morbius here? All I know is it's a Frankenstein kinda story. You're right anyway that there are a dozen convincing ways they could re-write that rule. IAmMike referenced the Valeyard and if someone can create his life from the Doctor's genetic pool it's gotta be even easier without Gallifrey and its self-imposed laws in the picture nowadays.

05:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAIN OF MORBIUS features a funky kind of mental duel between the Doctor and Morbius, another Time Lord. As they duel, we see images of Pertwee, Troughton, Hartnell -- and then those of lots of members of the production team, who thought it'd be a laugh to dress up in whatever ridiculous things they could find in the BBC costume cupboard to represent incarnations of the Doctor before those that we'd seen on TV. You can argue that they may be incarnations of Morbius if you like, but that's not what the production team intended.

In the end, it's a silly Sci-Fi show that can and always has broken its own rules for the sake of the show. One thing Russell has made it clear is that he's not going to be bound by continuity, and I haven't heard any reference in the new series yet to only 12 regenerations -- or even one suggesting that Eccleston was the ninth Doctor.

Anyway, aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? However successful it's been, I'd bet against the show actually running long enough to need to worry about this sort of thing!

08:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home