2005-10-04

How Euro Are You?

There was a fab debate programme on BBC2 tonight about the question of Britain's future in Europe and, because of our penchant for text messaging (plus the usual phone-in and online options), a tally of the nation's views was kept throughout. It was completely unscientific, of course, because everyone taking part was self-selected and had an interest in politics to begin with. Some people won't even watch BBC2!

Comedian Dara O'Briain did a fun segment busting some of the newspaper scare stories that all-too-frequently misinform the uninformed here. "Europe Says Cook Your Pets Before You Bury Them" twisted a fine piece of legislation to protect soil from infection by cattle carrying B.S.E. (Mad Cow Disease). And "Europe Bans Buxom Barmaids" wilfully misinterpretted measures to safeguard outdoor workers from sunstroke. The Sun and Daily Mail really do have to be seen to be believed...

Growing up on Star Trek and its United Federation Of Planets, the big question of whether to integrate or not is a complete no-brainer for me. I find it mindboggling that others in my family could watch so many episodes with me yet so completely miss the point. Also, with my background in international business (he said, making it sound much grander than it is) it's inconceivable to me that anyone can think opting out of the single currency is going to help our economy in the long-term. We're already separated from the mainland by water and language. We don't need additional barriers to Britain being a viable trade partner.

Take the Euro test yourself and share your result in the comments section. (I was categorized as "Mr. & Mrs. Chiantishire", i.e. very pro-integration.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Bugger, you and me both. But I almost fell at the first hurdle....which town are you nearest.

Maybe being on the other side of the pond makes a difference to scoring on questions regarding whether you want to be employed in Europe - same general landmass is better than separated by 3000 miles?

00:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my answer counts--I kind of pointed and picked one without reading.:) I don't have enough information to actually give good answers--apathetic American that I am. But I'll still procrastinate for a few minutes to take the test.:)

01:51  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Just F everyone's I, there's a "Living Outside The U.K." option for the Where Do You Live? question.

10:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I checked that--but I still just marked answers without looking half the time. Really, I'm ignorant and uninformed. I'm too busy bitching about politics over here--though I will say historically, isolationism has always proved to be a bad thing. That I know.

14:18  
Blogger Shocho said...

A timer! Good Lord, the pressure! I am Mr. Dover Straits, wanting things to stay as they are. Until I get there to visit, then you can change everything if you want. Bollocks!

23:49  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Good use of the word "bollocks" there! So the quiz is a bust? Your summary didn't correlate with the answers you gave?

zmhruatx

09:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home