2005-09-30

Booty

Ah, booty... my favourite name for pirate treasure. I may have zero money still but I've got a credit card and a free overdraft facility where you only pay interest on what you overspend. (You can fuck off and leave me alone now, Scum Of America. I cut up your card yesterday.) So I've been plundering the local merchants to enrich my meagre, portable stash of fun stuff.

Frank Black released a new album without telling me, and now I see why. I liked his previous solo stuff and loved what he did with his last band, The Catholics, despite an obvious move towards more tradional rock. Honeycomb seems to complete his slide towards middle age and unfortunately he just doesn't have the voice to carry off songs like At The Dark End Of The Street. Frankly, if I wanted to hear that I would have bought The Commitments. Can we have a new Pixies album soon, please? Everyone wants one and we're all gonna buy the upcoming live DVD of the tour I saw last year to prove it.

I picked up The Futureheads on the strength of comparisons to Franz Ferdinand (the record by the band of the same name, not the Austrian archduke whose assassination triggered World War I) but it's not very original or musical. So both albums are going back tomorrow. Next I'll investigate The Zutons, Kaiser Chiefs, and Saint Etienne's latest squeezing. If you know they're no good already, please leave a warning comment.

The saving grace of my inaugural shopping trip was a live DVD of David Bowie on his Reality Tour, featuring 30 career-spanning tracks. It's so good, I want to set up my dad's surround sound system before he gets back from vacation. Bowie even covers the Pixies' Cactus, so at least I got to hear one good Frank Black song that day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Please get the St Etienne and let us know how it was.

While back home I picked up the new Stephen Fretwell (bit gloomy, but good), British Naval Power (good, but not distinctive), The Shortwave Set (odd, but good) and the new Imogen Heap (excellent). Also some Bally Sagoo but that isn't to everyones' taste.

00:33  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

A friend says the Etienne album is very good. I'll hear it in a couple of weeks when I see him.

I applaud your eclectic taste, sir! Of the artists you mention I know Imogen Heap - I saw her years ago in the back of a pub before she had a record contract. Hopefully she has improved! I couldn't agree more about British Sea Power: were you being forgetful or do they have a different name over there?

09:38  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

I think she has improved aince her first outing. I first came across her doing the vocals to Blanket by Urban Species on an episode of Jools Holland. Then she was the voice to Frou Frou who did the closing number on Garden State (damn fine film) and one of the tracks from the OC (step forward Erika even though I have never met you).

Another band that crop up frequently are the Thievery Corporation. Have you come across them?

Fuck me, some of those wobbly letters are hard after a drink or two!

00:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what I've heard of the new Death Cab For Cutie. Broadcast just came out with a new one. They're very good but I'm not sure they're your style. Do you get KEXP at home? They're my best source for new music.

11:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home