2005-10-09

Like Licking An Ashtray

Smoking is bad for you. Even for people like me who don't do much exercise, giving up is the single most effective thing we can do to improve our overall health. And it's expensive here compared to Virginia - approximately twice the price for cigarettes and five times for loose tobacco.



I once kissed someone who smoked American Spirit "natural" cigarettes. Talk about holding a mirror up! It was disgusting. I've quit twice. Once I lasted for five months then went to Spain and told myself it didn't count because I was on holiday. By the time I got back, I was hooked again. Next, I gave up for a new year's resolution but flew to Spain (again) with a new girlfriend two days later. To say I was tetchy would be an understatement... I chose to disappoint her by breaking my resolution so quickly rather than spoil our vacation with irritability and mood swings.

Tobacco products in E.U. countries come with gargantuan health warnings: big black heavy type on a white background in a black-bordered box that's bigger than the Malboro logo, on both sides of every pack. These range from the classic "smoking kills" to "smoking causes premature ageing of the skin" to my personal favourite, "smoke contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide". The next step is to use pictures of diseased lungs like they do in Canada. And watch our public services slowly erode as the most heavily taxed product in the country goes off the market and the war budget stays where it is.

Paradoxically, I'm in favour of smoking bans in enclosed spaces (except airports where you can't leave the building when you're on a connecting flight. In this godless age, I can't believe they'll provide a chapel but not a smoking room. I guess smoking just became my religion!) England is poised to ban smoke in pubs and restaurants like Ireland, Wales and Norway before it. So my choice will soon be freeze outdoors in winter or quit. Now that my father knows I smoke, much of the illicit thrill is gone anyway.

So for many reasons my days as a regular smoker are numbered. I just don't know how big that number is yet.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm from California, the smoking ban is nothing new to me. They enacted that law when I was thirteen, and not only can you only smoke outside, but you have to be fifteen feet away from any building. I have to say I'm in favo(u)r of airports not having smoking rooms, only because in the airports that do (like Las Vegas), it still manages to leak out, and as someone who pukes every time I'm on a plane, I can't be too much for the smoking. Yeah, the parentheses. I know that joke died a long time ago.

03:43  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Having kissed (been kissed?) by Marcus, I can only applaud any attempt to kick the habit.

14:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be the first to admit that smoking has its allure--I've kissed a smoker, and it sort of just added to that whole bad-boy, I don't care attitude that I loved about him. However, I'll be the first to say that it's so harmful and offensive that it's best to quit.

Good luck with your efforts. I've been told by people who've quit that the only way you'll ever stop is to really want it for yourself.

15:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeewww, boys kissing boys.:) Does any other female think it's completely hot when straight guys are comfortable enough with themselves to kiss each other? Marcus, if anyone's going to share too much in the comments section, you know it's going to be me. Now, I'm off to clean in an effort to procrastinate on lesson plans.

15:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guys kissing guys = not hot, in my opinion. I think it's cool, definitely, when guys are comfortable enough to do that sort of thing, but hot?--no way.

18:13  
Blogger Brad said...

Nice, right after you leave my company you talk about stopping ...

00:54  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Kosmo: you know, when I arrived in the States I was down to 3 a day but when I found adjusting harder than I'd anticipated cigarettes became something of an emotional crutch again. My friend Lee was right. I hate it when that happens!

I'm considering giving it up now as a tribute to you? So when you visit it won't be all smokey? I'm sorry. I just don't have the bullshit for this situation :)


Sarah & Kat: this is where my hypocrisy kicks in. Girls kissing girls turns me on but I have about as much respect for the kissees as I do for strippers. (Which is some, but I'd never date one.) I kinda regret kissing the Aussie because I lost some class that day.

Aussie: where's that photograph? You were HOT! :)

02:58  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

If you ever see the photo, you'll notice their was no a complete lack of comfort!

02:50  
Blogger Jono said...

nothing wrong with guys kissing guys, well especially if you're gay lol

about smoking at airports - here in the U.S. well, there are many airports with smoking rooms... I know for a fact that Atlanta has ones of these rooms as I've walked past it when connecting flights.

Maybe something they should consider in Euro more...

18:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that i am working on the pulmonary floor at the hospital, i understand that smoking is the worst thing ever (and this coming from an ex/closet smoker). to all smokers (marcus most importantly because i dont want this to happen to you) in 20 more years of ciggies, your lungs will be big holes rather than little tiny airbars that bring oxygen in so you can continue living. you will be coughing constantly and unable to breath. air hunger is an ugly thing. and so is the stuff you will be coughing up (brown mucus with blood). you will not be able to lie down because you will not be able to breathe that way. and you will be in the ugly hospital every month with all the other coughers and their infections that you could easily catch. you will basically suffocate to death. sorry to be so blunt. i love you and you should try and quit today. i am going to tell all my smoker friends the same thing. (i will post a more cheery post later. i am just trying to catch up on your news and i couldnt resist posting since i am taking care all the smokers right now)
xoxo

02:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home