2006-01-16

When Bad Career Moves Attack

This started out as a Where Are They Now? until I realized I know where they all are... I just don't believe it.

First, some Buffy The Vampire Slayer alumni. David Boreanaz made his name playing a vampire and his new show is called Bones. I don't care that it's a police procedural show - it's still derivative. No doubt he's a cop with a soul. James Marsters has gone from playing a bad boy vampire with a Billy Idol fixation to a roadie messing with the occult so he can become a bona fide rock star himself, in the made-for-television movie Strange Frequencies 2. This is called being typecast and not having the industry clout to do anything about it.

Another actor with no range is Eliza Dushku. Her latest vehicle is Tru Calling - a cross between The Dead Zone and Buffy with the production values of the former and none of the writing talent of the latter. Her character is actually called Tru - I shit you not. She probably wishes she'd done a Sarah Michelle Gellar and disappeared up Freddie Prinze Jr. instead.

Next, I have to inform you that comics have been naughty. Spider-Man joined The Avengers and it was cool to see Aunt May and Captain America reminisce about the good ol' days until Iron Man gave Petey new battle armour. I've been looking for a reason to quit buying The Amazing Spider-Man for a while and, if this ain't a one-issue gimmick, I think I might have found it. It's not even blue, True Believers!



Kelsey Grammer as Beast in X-Men 3 most definitely is blue, but it sucks they outed the guy who played Hank McCoy in the first sequel for someone with more star power. Did he mutate into Frasier Crane first, before he mutated into Beast? Don't even talk to me about the casting for Psylocke - a dead ringer for Angelina Jolie in the comics before Angelina Jolie was even invented. Do they ask my opinion? Do they nuts.

Finally, we turn to real life. (It had to happen sooner or later.) Larry Wachowski of The Matrix fame has a new strategy to make you forget all about the dire sequels. And George Galloway M.P, the man who made the headlines by questioning the U.S. Senate Committee about their dealings in Iraq when they were supposed to be questioning him about his, is currently starring alongside Traci Bingham in Celebrity Big Brother 2.

The whole world has gone to hell in a handbasket, and you're invited!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like we just spent a couple of hours in the pub!

10:19  
Blogger Hilary said...

Kelsey Grammer as a beast? With hair? I am confused. Also slightly scared.
The new series of Bones looks good, but I haven't actually watched it yet.

12:01  
Blogger C said...

Whoa! I guess they're going to have to be the "Wachowski Siblings" now. . .

Is that a photo or an artist's rendition of Beast? Maybe Niles will have a cameo as Beast's brother. ;o)

20:06  
Blogger TheGirard said...

The Girard lying low in AZ working for a computer parts reseller?

Wait...is that a bad career move?

20:50  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

And they're using Philip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi to advertise... something. er. Can't remember. Now I don't know which product to boycott. dammit.

08:34  
Blogger C said...

Koyaanisquatsi to ADVERTISE something? I think that might possibly be the most ironic thing I've ever heard. :-O

18:16  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Hils! Always good to see a new friendly face around here. Yup -- Candace too -- that's a genuine picture from the X-Men 3 website. Continuity gripes aside, he's perfect for the role.

Girard: Any career move would be a move upward after our last place -- at least, how it ended up. Three or four years prior to that were pretty fuckin' sweet IMO.

21:46  
Blogger The1GWiz said...

If I may take a moment to be a nerd... that new Spidey armor costume, hideous or not, actually has a role in the story (something about Peter Paker and Tony Stark's relationship in the face of the next big Marvel spoiler filled brouhaha)
(no, not THAT kind of relationship... Brokeback Armor Wars?)

Just adding my 2 nerdy cents =OB

07:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will take gWiz's word about "functional", but it still looks hideous to me. But my kudos go to candace for the "ADVERTISE!?" wtf comment. Dead on and priceless!

Cheers,
AA, who can't get past word verification to post as himself, and is assuming he must therefore need some sleep.

06:05  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I just corrected "Supreme Court" to "Senate Committee" in the body of this post.

Chantelle, a non-celebrity planted into the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother to provide a twist on the format and some cringeworthy moments when other celebrities pretended they knew who she was, won the game on Friday. I hope it will go down in T.V. history as a shot in the foot for the entire franchise.

23:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home