2005-09-21

Meeting People Is Easy

There was an Englishman opposite me in the bar at Dulles airport who looked like a friend of a friend. But I only met Bob once, five years or more ago, when the three of us went to The Comedy Store. Not surprisingly, I was mistaken. We chatted and swapped e-mail addresses anyway and he signed himself "Not Bob"!

Immediately after the announcement about what food would be served on the flight, a tall man with glasses and a sweater tied around his neck asked Laeticia, the flight attendant serving my section, if food would be served on the flight. I broke the ice with her by joking at his expense as she poured me a Coke. Later she made tea and we discussed accents. I thought she might be from Madrid because she sounded a bit like a friend's Spanish girlfriend, so I called it and I was right!

Later, I wandered the cabin to stretch my legs and bumped into Food Doubt Guy near the toilet. He was hesitant with me and, at first, I thought he'd heard us laughing at his dumb question but that would have been near-impossible over the noise of the engines. We talked casually in transatlantic accents (his was the more pronounced) but he was still looking at me funny. Then I thought I recognized him as Alyson Hannigan's husband, Alexis Denisof from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. Physically, he was a match. He was dressed like he just came from a tennis club, which is also not a complete bust. The route we were on was one he'd be likely to take, and he wasn't in the cheap seats either. Plus, his awkwardness with me could be attributed to him thinking, "Does this person know who I am and do I really have to go through that now?" or "Come on... say you recognize me already and we can move on." But we were deep in that surreal mid-flight mental state, so I'll never be quite sure that he wasn't simply the type of well-to-do gentleman upon which Mr. Denisof first based his T.V. character, with an uncanny resemblace to someone famous.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexis Denisof is married to Alyson Hannigan? Damn. I gotta keep up with these things.

Sounds like you made the best of a long plane ride.

13:48  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

It's all true. You yanks can't get enough of us sexy Brits. You're a Buffy fan too? Or is this a ploy to continually weird me out with mutual interests?

15:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I weirding you out???

I am a Buffy fan indeed. But I'm into the early Buffy mostly--pre-Willow-the-lesbian and so forth. I enjoy Angel very much too.

And, I also can't get enough of you sexy Brits!

17:37  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

If the man in question had an English accent, then he was not Alexis Denisof. He was born and raised in the US, and speaks in "standard American" with the hard Rs and all. Like James Marsters and Juliet Landau, he's one of the folks in Joss' acting company that can do a very convincing Brit accent. (Well, convincing to us non-Brits, anyway.)

03:15  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

His accent is so excellent on T.V. that I couldn't remember if he was born there and studied here, or vice versa!

The more I rationalize it, the less I think it was him. I guess the experience I meant to be passing on was less that I met someone famous (because it wasn't acknowledged, even if it was him) but more about that state of confusion where there are an equal number of clues supporting a theory as there are against it. It was all very surreal with sleep deprivation at 3,000 feet!

Kat: yeah, Angel just got better and better and better each season. What other "menky"/genre shows are you into? Do only boys blog about T.V. shows and films?

11:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure girls blog about it too, but they tend to talk about the OC and Laguna Beach and crap like that. I actually don't watch too much tv, except CSI. I catch an occasional Buffy or Angel or one of those 80s shows on VH1 or something.

My cool geekiness comes from my brother who introduced me to Buffy. When left on my own, I end up with CSI and E! and so forth.

13:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, but I love movies! I don't generally talk about them because as soon as I do someone has to criticize something I enjoy, and that just ruins my expereince.

13:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just and idea for you and Nikki: plane tickets to England are pretty cheap if you're willing to fly in the winter.

Also, kitkat, if you want to read a girl's blog with some buffy/angel fanfic on it: www.livejournal.com/users/karabair. She's my BSG connection, as well, and I don't think she's ever seen the OC.

15:50  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Apparently, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain didn't like to be apart. They worked together on Mission Impossible too.

21:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home