2005-10-10

Praise For (The) Kaiser Chiefs

(The) Kaiser Chiefs are the best new band I've heard in a long time. Mix The Clash with Adam & The Ants, simmer for 40 minutes, add a sprinkling of vintage Blur et voila!



Ricky Wilson is a better singer than Joe Strummer and Damon Albarn combined and can really belt it out in a theatrical way. The backing vocals too are more interesting than most "indie" bands and where my Adam Ant comparison comes from. I saw them in interview before I'd heard any of their songs and they instantly endeared themselves to me because they dress well and are genuinely amusing people who I'd love to go down the pub with. I can't say the same about Oasis.

There's a playfulness in their music too: Caroline, Yes is a response to The Beach Boys' Caroline, No and their debut album is called Employment. Like Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear, which paid his divorce settlement, I like it because it acknowledges that they could really use the cash!

They sing about how half-naked girls out on the town on a Friday night are "not very sensible" and how getting mixed up with drunkards who just want to fight (Oasis again) is "not very sensible either". Personally, my fondest lyric is "all I wanted to be was a million miles from here, somewhere more familiar". It's followed by a quadruple refrain of "oh, my god! I can't believe it! I've never been this far away from home." (What Alan Alda says in Crimes And Misdemeanours is true: comedy = tragedy + time.)

So, this is me procrastinating about cleaning the house before my father comes home from vacation tomorrow. Just like (The) Pixies, there's no "The" in their name anywhere on the album yet trying to observe this convention when writing or talking feels really awkward. Grammatically speaking, what's a boy to do?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ought to check these guys out. As for the grammar--this irritates me too. I would say when you're talking, who cares? And when you're writing, think of it as a name/title, not an indication of plural.

I think lots of interesting things can be done when procrastinating. Usually cleaning is what I do when trying not to do something else :)

14:59  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

And when you're writing, think of it as a name/title, not an indication of plural.

I agree 100% but wondered if I was being too uptight about it. It bugs the living crap out of me when someone's writing about a business and says "Microsoft have announced..." instead of "Microsoft has announced..." Microsoft is a singular organisation full of plural people.

Obviously, when I say "they" I'm talking about the plural members of the band but is it O.K. to take that short cut or does it grate? Help me, Kat! I'm so confused!

15:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should worry so much about grammar on your own blog! I think it's fair to use "they" because it's pretty clear to which "they" you are referring. If you used "it," people wouldn't know what you're talking about. And communication is really essential :)

18:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of music, I would also recommend My Morning Jacket and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (despite the dumb name they are quite good)

00:04  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Sarah: I like those names! Death Cab For Cutie is my fave band name of the moment and I don't even know their music very well. A morning jacket sounds like something you'd wear to a funeral. Is that right? If so, it's another case of "us guys" adding superfluous "U"s to sound cool in the 18th Century.

Oh, vesjlxmm!

02:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea whether a morning jacket is something you'd wear to a funeral or if that's how they got their name but I'm sure Wikipedia will tell you.

19:12  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Screw the grammar (but rememmber, data are plural) - the new one is a pretty good CD.

00:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A morning coat is traditional wedding gear in this country, with a tapering, swallow-tail sort of back. These days, I think people would think it odd if anyone who wasn't an undertaker wore one to a funeral.

As for grammar (the day job), I was on the tube yesterday when three 15-year old girls sat in my compartment and started making small talk with me - a sure sign that they were visiting London for the day on some school trip (Londoners don't talk to strangers on the tube)! When we passed through St James's Park, they started complaining about not understanding the use of apostrophes, so I gave them a two-sentence lesson before we got to Victoria. They seemed genuinely pleased.

08:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning = time of day
Mourning = sorrow for someone's demise.

We spell it the same way :)

12:53  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

shig - you have a way of seducing young ladies, I can tell.

00:53  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

New favourite lyric: "I try to get in a taxi/Man in a tracksuit attacks me". It's funny because it's true!

19:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What song is that?

01:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home