2005-10-10

Top Five U.S. T.V. Shows Now Available In The U.K.

...Excluding Shows I'm Addicted To, Have Written About Extensively Already And Would Somehow Be Watching Even If They Weren't Being Broadcast Here

1. The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
A new digital channel called More 4 (from the people at Channel 4) starts broadcasting in 45 minutes and The Daily Show is their second show. We'll get each episode the day after its U.S. showing.

2. C.N.N.
My main news source is B.B.C. News 24, not least because you can get the latest headlines at the touch of a button 24 hours a day. But comparing how different networks report the same event can be fun.

3. The Office: An American Workplace
I may yet get to see the U.S. adaptation of the Ricky Gervais comedy.

4. Lost
Except I missed the first episode AGAIN and, as with a novel, I can't bring myself to watch Chapter 5 before Chapter 1. Same goes for Deadwood and Carnivàle. If I miss the start of Rome, I'll really be annoyed.

5. Mythbusters
I'd like to bust the myth that presenters Adam and Jamie aren't lovers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cripes! You're now updating as often as I am!

18:32  
Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

The American Office was on bbc4 over the last few months, so you've missed it. But they'll probably repeat it or put it on bbc2.
It was excellent I thought.

19:36  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Sarah: that may be so, but I'm still the second most frequent poster on this site! From now on, consecutive comments by the same user are banned. It's the first step on your road to recovery. Call it tough love.

Mod: I'm sorry I missed it. I heard the first episode was a direct port of our first one but after that they went their own route, which means new material rather than retreads of what I've already seen. Sweet.

20:17  
Blogger Brad said...

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

nruawjdv

00:51  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

I've caught every episode of both the Brit and US versions of The Office. You've heard correctly: the very first episode of the US version is a port of the UK original. Since then, though, they've been going their own route, and steadily improving. At first, I was finding the remake to be lacking in comparison, but it's getting better.

Still not remotely as funny as Arrested Development, but worth watching.

06:21  
Blogger Tom said...

Rome has been good so far. The two soldiers are the best part.

yikutfs

11:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROME is a coproduction with the BBC, so there'll be trumpets and fanfares and covers of the Radio Times for the first episode, and it'll be pretty hard to miss. Hope it's soon.

I'm sure it'll be great but that lazy journalists will all compare it unfavourably to I, CLAUDIUS, from which I imagine it will be a very different kettle of fish.

08:31  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

I would have thought that the gratuitous breasts in 'Rome' would feature strongly. It seems ok, nothing like I, Clavdivs, but nothing much to write home about. Anyone seen Extras - there's a good show that runs on HBO?

It's funny that there are several shows on mainstream TV channels (not CNN, heaven forbid - I like news in my news programmes) that I might watch if I was in the UK but not here. I think the reason is that they are so bloody hyped round here that I tend to dismiss them all as crap (unlike Mr. Lorenz who watches them all, bless him). Lost may be one of those.

Hope it's not raining too much down your way.

00:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home