2006-01-21

The Kids Are Alright

Delinquent crime is out of control here compared to when I emigrated two years ago. (Honestly, I can't leave you people alone for five minutes!) The news is full of acts perpetrated by minors that are so vile and disgusting I can't even bring myself to report them to you here. Keep one eye on the B.B.C. News homepage if you want to go half-blind.

Ten years on, friends from university are still in regular contact via e-mail. Ranting and venting are commonplace! You can play devil's advocate on hot-button issues and rarely cause offence... it's that "friendship in the bank" thing again. The Rt. Hon. Count von Schmell wrote something this week that struck a chord in this bleeding heart liberal more concerned with tackling the root of the phenomenon than inventing new hardline punishments. Here it is, reproduced with the author's kind permission:

We have to ask why our kids are in such a mess.

It's a sad fact that we have virtually abandoned an entire generation. We are all complicit in this - it's not the kids' fault. For government ministers, etc. to peddle the line, "just because you dont have a playing field doesn't mean you can throw stones at the police" is missing the point. These are children, not adults! They are not like us; they are like coiled wires of energy. We've taken away their recreation areas, destroyed the sports curriculum and we pander to their want for video games. By treating our children like normal consumers and fleecing them of their cash we're storing up problems that we will pay for in the future.

Our children should be part of our society in a positive way. How do we expect them to show respect when they see their elders lying, going to war, etc. and acting like imbeciles in Parliament? I had a lot of contact with The Yoof during the Iraq war build-up and, as a single event, I think it did more to harm our relationship with the younger generation than the last twenty years of school F-ups. They watched how we supposed "matures" conducted the whole war debate at a level lower than their playground. Believe me: they took note.

Why should they show respect to a police force that went in so heavily against the peace protests? A couple of friends of mine who were 16 at the time were quite badly manhandled while protesting at the ExCeL Centre in London's Docklands, at the International Arms Fair. At a peaceful sit-down protest they were hit across the backs and shoulders with truncheons.

No wonder children have no respect when that's how adults behave.
I'm at ExCeL for most of next week but it's an International Toy Fair so the only truncheons around should be made of foam rubber, require two AA batteries and give off a sound effect when you hit someone with them.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't hear any arguments from me regaring this quote. I think it's human nature to pass the buck and try to blame something else or someone else besides ourselves for problems we really did create.

My favorite over here is when parents substitute daycare, school, and sports for actual parenting.

18:57  
Blogger C said...

And they (parents) are constantly trying to get the schools to assume more responsibility for their kids. Why do they have children at all, I wonder? Parenting is quickly becoming a lost art in favour of schools of thought that teach along the lines of pretending your kids are equals (i.e. adults) and that providing guidance and boundaries is disrespectful to children. Sigh.

20:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing--

I once sat behind a family in an airplane and when the plane was landing, the flight attendant had to ask the parents at least twice to get their little girl to sit in her seat. The parents kept asking the girl to sit down ("You have to sit down now, okay?"), and then when she wouldn't, they just didn't bother to physically MAKE HER DO IT. Christ, they had at least 100 lbs each on the girl.

I just had to get that off my chest.

22:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it would be great not to sell any more school playing fields, and while serious controls on advertising aimed at children are a must, today's kids will do what kids have always done - grow up, and for the most part grow up fine, normal and balanced. It's good that they're pissed off about Iraq - maybe they won't make the same kind of mistakes, but I doubt it.

The same sort of comments would have been made about our generation and every generation, and will be made by today's kids complaining about theirs in 10 or 15 years' time.

10:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shig, I do agree that we aren't saying anything different than what the generation before us said about us. However, I think the desire to stop the trend toward violence and unnecessary sexuality is a good one. I don't think we should just throw in the towel and let things be. Sometimes it's just in the effort that you find some consolation or relief.

14:34  
Blogger Jason said...

However, I think the desire to stop the trend toward violence and unnecessary sexuality is a good one.

Define "unnecessary sexuality." I'm sure the first bathing suits that showed off leg were considered "unnecessary," as were the first bikini, the first time a husband and wife were shown in bed on TV, the first time a breast was shown on a movie screen, homosexualtiy, and so on and so on.

What's "unnecessary" now will be perfectly acceptable in 20 to 30 years. That's the way it's always been and how it'll continue to be.

17:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jason, I won't argue with that, except to say that little girls wearing thong underwear and tiny tees with suggestive phrases will never be all right. I know that what I might consider unnecessary violence or sexuality will probably change over the next 20 years, but there are some instances where I have to stick to my guns (no pun intended).

19:46  
Blogger C said...

I do hope the trend is somehow reversed. It used to be that no one would show a (real)corpse on TV. Now they don't seem to have a problem with that. What's next? Executions? (Or maybe that's been done. I stopped watching a couple of years ago.)

23:04  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Shig: I too take your point that every generation faces these issues and, regarding sexuality, I'm not going to moan to much about the Yoof Of Today. When I've heard it from others it's just sounded like sour grapes :).

It's the sickening violence that, well, makes me sick. I don't recall seeing stuff like that on the news when I was a teenager and it's not an isolated incident either.

15:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's certainly been a lot of press recently that makes it seem that the "younger generation" have been taking A CLOCKWORK ORANGE a bit too much to heart -- worse than your example of the twins killing their stepgran for the £100 stuffed under her mattress, in my opinion, was the man killed by the happy slappers on the South Bank "for a laugh". These are new examples, but I'm not sure that youth violence is an especially new phenomenon.

I'm not saying we should be complacent about our children's schooling or parenting in the slightest. I'm just old fashioned and naive, and believe that the majority of people are fundamentally decent. I don't think that will be any less true of this generation than of any other.

This is all a bit heavy, isn't it? When can we get back to talking about space aliens?

10:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could also be the case that violence is not escalating, but media coverage is. Maybe young folks have always been little savages, but we're only just now hearing about it.

20:37  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

London is done but next week is Nuremberg. There'll be little chance to get online for personal stuff but it'll be Sycorax all the way when I get back, Shig :).

21:13  
Blogger C said...

Somehow Nuremburg does not sound like any fun at all.

Have children always killed each other, or is that just lately?

I miss space aliens, too. :o)

03:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home