2006-05-09

Feeling Good When I J-O-B

Dammit if I'm not doing my best work ever at a company that treats the games business like a business rather than a game. In the main, my colleagues are willing to share their skills for the benefit of the team rather than guard what they know in fear of being surpassed. (It helps that we're a small team and everyone has different responsibilities.) Six months in, I'm applying what I've learned and getting results.



My boss asked if I minded doing my performance review as we travelled to Galway together. I said if it was going to be positive then I didn't mind how casual it was. We did it in a Travelodge car park waiting for a taxi to take us to the airport, which I took as a sign that he's happy with me.

Last week I was talking aloud as my brain formed a strategy to bring on a new distribution account without pissing off an existing one that it would have some overlap with. There was a pause on the line and I figured Boss Man had spotted a fatal flaw. "That's good," he said. "That's really good." Everyone gains and there's nothing underhand or immoral about it, which is important to me about the way I do business. The way you do anything is the way you do everything.

I bought a new shirt and asked Miss Edinburgh not to compare me to our boss when I wore it because he likes stripes too. "He wears light colours anyway," she said. The following day Boss Man complimented me on my shirt but said he couldn't wear it himself because of his fair complexion. Hilarity did ensue.

Everyone at Wernham Hogg thinks I'm a comedian, by the way. It's a tribute to the people I worked with in my last job (several of whom are linked in my blogroll, left) that wise-cracking comes naturally to me; I don't feel I deserve the praise or guffaws I seem to receive on a daily basis. My take is that you have to work 40+ hours every week just to pay bills and afford the fun things in life so you may as well enjoy that time if you can. My new crowd seems to be getting the message and is joining in. Expect productivity to take a nose-dive around July. Good work!

3 Comments:

Blogger thisismarcus said...

I meant that at the current rate of growth the jokes will over-take the work in roughly two months :)

19:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried commenting last night, but my mom's computer is stupid.

The way you do anything is the way you do everything.

This post made me feel good! It's nice hearing you speak so positively about your own life. I'm glad things are going your way!

03:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just spent this afternoon writing annual reports for my line managees, the first time I've done that sort of thing. Scary. I'll be dreading doing their appraisal interviews much more than they'll be dreading having them.

17:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home