2006-05-17

Ill Met By Daylight

I've taken four days off work to find somewhere new to live and see friends. Today I drove to London to meet Derek, who I knew (but not very well) in Virginia. His girlfriend confused me with Justin in Wonderbar one night. "Oh, I thought you were the Australian... because he just moved here and his girlfriend left him and he's heartbroken." I paused a pause of almost perfect length and said, "No, actually that is me." She was mortified but I thought it was pure comedy.

Somehow bad weather makes morons drive like crap. I was held up for thirty minutes by an accident just outside London. I parked at Hammersmith and took the tube to our agreed meeting place of Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus but, unfortunately, I was thirty minutes tardy. Derek wasn't there. Tower Records wasn't there. It's a Virgin Megastore now (but it's still the only shop of its kind next to the station).

I checked my phone and I'd missed no calls underground. (He doesn't have a number that works here but I'd given him mine anyway.) I waited another ninety minutes in the rain but he didn't show. I'd thought of half a dozen bars around Leicester Square and Covent Garden to drink in too! I bought A History Of Violence and Broken Boy Soldiers and retraced my steps back to Bristol. Total time wasted: 7 hours. People: from now on you carry a phone or we make a contingency plan up-front.

I hope Derek made it to London safely.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bad weather makes morons drive like crap

A truer statement has never been uttered.

So, did you find a place to live or was that wasted time too?

21:41  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

The first snow round here is always scary - Hoosiers on Ice. Somehow they all forget how to drive over the summer and then Darwinism thins the herd with the first snowfall.

00:26  
Blogger C said...

Oh, TG is so right. And the same goes for the first rain in CA. Morons!

I think your wicked prank was a hoot! :-)

01:10  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Man. Really sorry to hear about me losing my girlfriend. That sux. Especially since I married her (again) last weekend. :)

And how is the Raconteurs?

04:38  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Aussie: Congratulations - again. The Raconteurs is excellent if you like that kind of thing: equal parts Deep Purple, White Stripes and "phase 2" Beatles, plus two parts Small Faces. Old school.

Kat: I'm working on that. There is a plan but it deserves its own post!

Marilyn: Send me a picture and anything's possible!

17:16  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Oh! I meant a naked picture. Sorry for the confusion.

So that was my smart-ass comment. I'll reply to your e-mail with something less inane :)

10:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home