2005-05-17

The Jack Bauer Power Hour

With spoilers up to S4E22.

It's been a weird season of 24. By the end of last year, everyone was either dead, on heroin, in jail or missing a limb, so it was always gonna be tricksy putting a gang of heroes back together again for our continued viewing pleasure. Guessing how they were going to crowbar another series regular back into this year's plot has been the main reason to keep tuning back in, cos the story has regressed to run-around-aimlessly-and-fail-to-catch-the-bad-guy since Marwan was introduced. And now, Mia Kirshner is back.



Hey, Mia... over here. No - here! Nuts. I think her character's name is Mandy but that's not important right now: she's the hot lesbian biker babe from Season One who tried to kill the president with a Vulcan Handshake in Season Two and now she's back and not actually a lesbian after all. Yay for me!

But I originally logged on to talk about politics on the show, so I suppose I should "go there".

24 has never preached party politics - in fact, we've never even been told to which party the three presidents we've seen so far have all belonged. But I was reassured by several speeches Palmer made during Season Two about the importance of only going to war with concrete evidence and as a last resort. (Of course, by that time in the real world, we'd already initiated conflict based upon far less.) Jack got a Middle Eastern good guy colleague for a few episodes and the Big Bad turned out to be a white guy hellbent on raising the value of his oil stock.

I guess the show doesn't have a consistent political agenda, because I'm not watching as comfortably as I once was and I ain't just worried about those mountains in Iowa. Nor am I concerned about the suburban Arab-American family that was revealed as a terrorist sleeper cell.

I'm bothered about the recent raid and kidnapping at the Chinese Embassy. The more I think about it, I'm bothered by Jack's willingness to go outside the law to get the job done. By that standard, Jack's no better than Marwan - using the law when it furthers his mission and flaunting it when it doesn't. It makes for absolutely cracking TV but it completely endorses his criminal behaviour as heroic because he does it in service to his country.

Sure, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but when did I start cheering for the bullies? When did I start rooting for people who would kick down the door of your home without a search warrant? When did I start condoning the circumvention of due process? Well, I don't suppose they have a local Fox affiliate down in Guantanemo anyway...

At least 24 has raised the issue. And the president is doing his best to keep it alive and in our minds on a weekly basis. President Logan in TV Land, that is!

3 Comments:

Blogger DrHeimlich said...

I have always found 24 to be among the best shows on the air right now because it delivers an adrenaline rush almost every week, and on occasion manages to pull a truly emotional dramatic moment too (George Mason's noble sacrifice, Jack's farewell to Kim, the loss of Teri, etc.). And yes, I suppose it does provoke you into discussion about the lengths your government should go to in these sorts of circumstances.

But where I expect a true "drama" like The West Wing to fully explore the issue, and maybe take a stance, I don't ask that of 24. If it makes you "read into the material a bit," that's fine, but to me that's not the point. And I choose not to go there because I know if I did, I'd find 24 fairly morally bankrupt. I grant the circumstances are dire every week, but come on -- in four years of fighting terrorists, there has to have been at least one moment by now that's made everyone think, "that's going a bit too far." It might be different for everyone, but I'll bet it's there.

06:37  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

How about S2E01 when he kills a convicted paedophile at CTU and cuts off his head BY CHOICE in order to support an undercover cover story? But Jack has regular guilt about this and his relationships never work out so it's all OK in the end!!!

Cracking good television.

07:16  
Blogger GiromiDe said...

I just wish Jack and Jack's Pals weren't the only completely competant part of CTU. The idiots in charge of CTU at the beginning of this season were impotent and slow.

I know Jack is the main character, but the Only Jack Can Save Us crap gets a little old. At least we weren't treated to Danger Magnet Kim this season, though she's nice to look at.

15:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home