2006-02-11

Unidentified Drinking Injuries

What caused the pain in my lower left rib for three days last week? Nothing I could remember. Someone asked me if I'd been drinking over the weekend and I had. "Well," they said. "It's a U.D.I."

Two mornings ago I woke up with cold feet -- nothing new when your body's longer than your bed. A cut on the bottom of the second toe on my left foot had healed solid and I couldn't walk without it hurting. I suppose it was from the party last Friday, but I can't say why it took me four days to notice.

Am I getting old? Or just better at whingeing?



Last night I dreamed I was a rookie cop and Lalla Ward was my big city mentor. We rode the subway and trailed the bad guys to their converted warehouse. Everything had a green hue like in the first Matrix movie. I stood and watched as she served and protected in her 70s-style leather pants, using a pistol and some Slayer-esque high kicks. This one I can explain: too much blue cheese before bedtime.

Update 2006-02-12: I think Beastly Knits has cured my Lalla Lust.

6 Comments:

Blogger C said...

LOL about those beastly knits! :o)

I've been wondering for a while now: how do you pronouce whingeing? Does it rhyme with hingeing? (not that that's a word. . .)

Are you sure it wasn't me in your dream? ;o) I can kick pretty high. The way to tell for sure is if the pistol was working, cuz in dreams, my pistol NEVER works properly. I have to aim it up and the bullet will kind of sail slowly up in an arc and drop ineffectually on the bad guy's head (or not, as the case may be.)

Hope your UDIs heal soon. I've had bruises on the bottom of both heels over the last 2 weeks and no idea how I got them. Annoying. Maybe I kicked you in the lower left rib when we weren't looking.

16:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poor, cold feet!

I've already spread the term UDI on to my friend who crashed at my house last night. Very useful abbreviation.

20:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be strange wandering into the Dawkins-Ward household in Cambridge and seeing a shelf of their collective published works -- some of the most important biology textbooks in history... and BEASTLY KNITS, FOWL KNITS, 101 QUESTIONS YOUR DOG WOULD ASK ITS VET (IF IT COULD TALK), etc. But lucky Richard Dawkins, honestly. Lalla's a natural selection.

10:36  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Nice punchline :).

19:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told Candace on my blog that I had no UDIs from the other night. Turns out, I was wrong. I discovered a nice little bruise on my leg this afternoon.

21:35  
Blogger Hilary said...

Ah! Now I have a name for random bruises that appear for no good reason (apart from one that turned up after carrying someone home and them landing on me quite heavily...). Yay!

By the way, whinge is prononced like hinge only with a w. Probably.

13:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home