2005-10-14

New Tech In My Life

My friends in America had an unspoken competition to see who could buy the biggest television. Someone bought a 52" so the next guy got a 60", etc. I couldn't justify the expense or the space in my apartment to take part personally but it was pretty sweet to stand by and reap the rewards.

I just stayed a couple of days with a friend, Tony, and his is the biggest I've ever seen. He's got a hi-quality video projector mounted on the ceiling and the 84" screen sits barely an inch off the opposite wall. If my arithmetic is good, a 4:3 aspect 84" screen gives over 3300 square inches of image. Now that's what I call home cinema! The 21" set at the bottom of the linked photo looks every inch the 1:16 scale model of its new big brother. Oh, how I wish I'd picked up Supervixens earlier in the week...

His computer set-up was fun to play with too: a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. I was sat on the sofa using the projector screen as a monitor and a lower case letter in the body of one of these articles was as big as my thumb. And two days on broadband was like regaining the use of a limb. Tony, if you're reading, you're my God For The Week. (Sorry once more for setting fire to the plant pot on your balcony with my cigarette butt. Can we call it a ritual sacrifice?)

4 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

1.21 Gigawatts!~!!!!!!!!!!

20:39  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it.

21:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So excited that Back to the Future was playing. That looks great on any screen :)

20:12  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I was wondering for an hour where the smokey smell was coming from! I'm just glad I didn't do any real damage before you sold the place.

11:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home