2007-03-23

Note To Self About Configuring P2P Software

Listen, self: if eMule gives you a low I.D. (i.e. yellow icons instead of green) but you haven't changed any of your settings, fiddling around with those settings and getting frustrated about it is not going to fix the problem.

Do not get sidetracked by helpful suggestions in error messages. Do not mess around with Windows Firewall when it's already making exceptions for the relevant ports. Do not turn off worm script debugging in Norton because it worked for some Dutch guy on a message board.

Remember that you've been through this before, only those brain cells have since died off. Go to the set-up page for your router because you have a dynamic connection and it may have auto-assigned a new I.P. address if one of your laptops wasn't powered up at the start of your session. Change the final digit under Virtual Servers until it forwards ports 4660-4712 to the right computer. Or forward those ports to both of your computers all of the time and never go through this pain again!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

que?

13:20  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

That's my reaction too, most days. I'm having an off-day so I thought I'd write it down so I never have to think about it again.

16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home