2006-06-20

The Unflat Flat

I viewed my dream apartment today in Old Market, a neglected area of central Bristol that's waiting for a renaissance to happen. It's within walking distance of the bars and a minute from the motorway. It's a newly-converted warehouse on a row where my mother once worked in a warehouse. I need to tell her which number it is on the street.

I've been pestering the agent (with charm not annoyance) since mid-May, which is when the work was supposed to be completed and the flats [apartments] were supposed to be ready to let. There's lots of interest but for some reason Emma decided to let me view them ahead of Thursday's group viewing. I was able to walk around and choose which one I wanted. I opted for a corner. Over the phone I was told the landlord needed to approve his tenants but I must have done something right because they happily took my cheque today and said the place was mine.

It reminds me of "The Euroloft", an apartment in Brooklyn where two friends from college once lived with another European (hence the name). Mine's in Europe. You go in the main door and there's a small storage room for every tenant, for bikes and stuff. Up the steel stairs. Inside there's a tiled bathroom on the right followed by a brand new fitted kitchen with breakfast bar. The kitchen opens into the main room which is light thanks to a big frosted window and white decor. On the left as you enter is are stairs leading up (up!) to the sleeping area. It'd be a bedroom but for a half-wall balcony making it a sort of mezzanine. You can look over into the main room so the main room has a nice high ceiling.

I can't wait to show you some photos. Two weeks max, they said.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Happy house - warehouse anyway.

00:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome! Looks like we're all finding new places to house ourselves these days.

"Two weeks" reminds me of the the movie The Money Pit :)

13:16  
Blogger Brad said...

apartment within walking distance of bars??? Sounds like a dream come true :)

21:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home